Miami International Art Fair
Using a luxury yacht as a floating gallery, Miami International Art Fair docks downtown through Sunday.
Miami Art Fair International is on view aboard the yacht SeaFair, docked at the Hotel Intercontinental, 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami
8-10 p.m. Thursday, noon-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday and noon-7 p.m. Sunday-Monday.
Admission $10-$30 ($100 with VIP wine tasting); mia-artfair.com.
Art enthusiasts suffering from post-Basel withdrawal can get a fix this weekend at Miami International Art Fair, showcasing works from galleries as far away as Beijing, Buenos Aires, Moscow and Paris.
The fair, in its second year, will again take place aboard the SeaFair, a 228-foot yacht docked at the InterContinental Hotel in downtown Miami, with works from 27 galleries displayed throughout the $40 million vessel.
Highlights include an interactive installation by French photographer and “light painter” Jadikan LP. Guests will be encouraged to participate in Jadikan’s pop-up darkroom during the VIP preview on Thursday, with his one-of-a-kind portraits available for $100-$500.
Fair director Lee Ann Lester says she expects attendance to exceed last year’s 10,000.
“The location is very important,” said Lester, who founded, and later sold, ArtMiami. “We’re actively bringing in a cultural attraction for a large collector base and the urban, young executives that live and work nearby.”
Standouts on view at MIA include Across the Universe, an exhibition and lecture by Cuban-born Miami artist Carlos Estevez; and works by Stephen Knapp, Frank Hyder and furniture designer Paco Camus.
See and Do
- Frost Museum to hold its inaugural Science Art Cinema event
- Mad Cat’s ‘Lazy Fair’ at Miami Theater Center reunites partners in crime
- 15 things to do with the kids in Miami Aug 24-30: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social featuring Million Young
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 21-23
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun Aug 17-23
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 14-16
- "Weird Al" Yankovic brings his masterful musical parody to South Florida
- 'Cirque du soleil: Varekai' heads to South Florida to weave a personal story with classic myth
- Free and Cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 7-9