Miami International Art Fair
Using a luxury yacht as a floating gallery, Miami International Art Fair docks downtown through Sunday.
Art enthusiasts suffering from post-Basel withdrawal can get a fix this weekend at Miami International Art Fair, showcasing works from galleries as far away as Beijing, Buenos Aires, Moscow and Paris.
The fair, in its second year, will again take place aboard the SeaFair, a 228-foot yacht docked at the InterContinental Hotel in downtown Miami, with works from 27 galleries displayed throughout the $40 million vessel.
Highlights include an interactive installation by French photographer and “light painter” Jadikan LP. Guests will be encouraged to participate in Jadikan’s pop-up darkroom during the VIP preview on Thursday, with his one-of-a-kind portraits available for $100-$500.
Fair director Lee Ann Lester says she expects attendance to exceed last year’s 10,000.
“The location is very important,” said Lester, who founded, and later sold, ArtMiami. “We’re actively bringing in a cultural attraction for a large collector base and the urban, young executives that live and work nearby.”
Standouts on view at MIA include Across the Universe, an exhibition and lecture by Cuban-born Miami artist Carlos Estevez; and works by Stephen Knapp, Frank Hyder and furniture designer Paco Camus.
Miami Art Fair International is on view aboard the yacht SeaFair, docked at the Hotel Intercontinental, 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami
8-10 p.m. Thursday, noon-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday and noon-7 p.m. Sunday-Monday.
Admission $10-$30 ($100 with VIP wine tasting); mia-artfair.com.
See and Do
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24
- Things we discovered on a 74-mile car trip on the Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples
- Finding craft beer at Miami sports venues
- 9 events you can't miss in Miami - August 2016