Miami International Art Fair
Using a luxury yacht as a floating gallery, Miami International Art Fair docks downtown through Sunday.
Miami Art Fair International is on view aboard the yacht SeaFair, docked at the Hotel Intercontinental, 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami
8-10 p.m. Thursday, noon-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday and noon-7 p.m. Sunday-Monday.
Admission $10-$30 ($100 with VIP wine tasting); mia-artfair.com.
Art enthusiasts suffering from post-Basel withdrawal can get a fix this weekend at Miami International Art Fair, showcasing works from galleries as far away as Beijing, Buenos Aires, Moscow and Paris.
The fair, in its second year, will again take place aboard the SeaFair, a 228-foot yacht docked at the InterContinental Hotel in downtown Miami, with works from 27 galleries displayed throughout the $40 million vessel.
Highlights include an interactive installation by French photographer and “light painter” Jadikan LP. Guests will be encouraged to participate in Jadikan’s pop-up darkroom during the VIP preview on Thursday, with his one-of-a-kind portraits available for $100-$500.
Fair director Lee Ann Lester says she expects attendance to exceed last year’s 10,000.
“The location is very important,” said Lester, who founded, and later sold, ArtMiami. “We’re actively bringing in a cultural attraction for a large collector base and the urban, young executives that live and work nearby.”
Standouts on view at MIA include Across the Universe, an exhibition and lecture by Cuban-born Miami artist Carlos Estevez; and works by Stephen Knapp, Frank Hyder and furniture designer Paco Camus.
See and Do
- Bayfront Park hosts tree lighting event to kick off holiday season
- Momix will perform and teach a master class at Broward Center
- 17 Fun Things to Do This Holiday Week: Nov 23-29
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 20-22
- ‘Newsies’ dances its way back to South Florida with a charming leading man
- Some Miami Book Fair events of note (in a weekend of hundreds)
- Miami Book Fair, a literary cornucopia, kicks off
- Give Miami Day, Nov. 19, is a chance to support Miami charities
- 15 things to do with the kids this week: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 13-15