The Magic City movie brings the Heat to ABFF
Local filmmaker Malcom R. Jones showcases Miami's underrepresented neighborhoods and communities
6/21/2013It's one day after the Miami Heat reclaimed the NBA Championship for a second year in a row. The city is still sizzling with energy and excitement, which only adds to the anticipation of the night's American Black Film Festival premiere of The Magic City taking place at the Colony Theatre on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach.
Local film Director Malcom R. Jonesis happy for his city, but as he makes his way down the red carpet, he wonders how the ABFF audience will receive his feature film, The Magic City. The coming of age movie is a first for Jones, who also wrote the film. Jones earned his film credibility as a music video director.
"The movie breaks the stereotypes that are typically made about people of color," Jones says. The Fort Lauderdale resident says he isolated himself to write the script. He turned off his main phone and maintained one line of communication for family members only. It's taken roughly three years (from concept to red carpet) to get to this moment. Jones believed in his story so much that he partly financed it out of his own savings.
Jones says he was inspired to write this story because of his own difficult upbringing, which was met with financial challenges and joy.
Closely behind Jones is executive producer and Miami Heat NBA Champion Udonis Haslem. Haslem, who was raised in Miami, says he's happy to support new talent like Jones, and he's also happy to bring attention to Miami through this film, which journeys through areas such as Liberty City and Overtown.
- Five things to do this Labor Day Weekend: Miami Ques Day Party, RonDayVu Day Party and more
- Jeffrey Osborne, Bell Biv DeVoe to Headline Black Enterprise Golf & Tennis Challenge Labor Day Weekend
- Miami Soul Weekly Going Out Guide for things to do and where to go
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Estelle Paints the Town Red with Rosa Regale
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Distinguished Gentlemen event, Sundays at the Bay, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Soca Reggae Unity party, Soul Centric Miami, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Rakim performing live, Jamaica Independance party and more
- Miami Soul Travel Series: Luxury Travel Tips from Arabia Escapes
- Love Life and the 411 for August 2014
- Miami Soul on the Scene: VJMedia Mixology with South Florida's Tastemakers and Lifestyle Influencers