Miami Film Festival announces first batch of movies
On Tuesday, Miami International Film Festival announced the titles of 42 films from around the world that will be shown this year in two noncompetition categories. The highlights include Family United (La gran familia Española) from Spain, which was nominated for 12 Goya Awards, including Best Picture; Heli from Mexico, which earned director Amat Escalante the Best Director award at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival; Living Is Easy with Your Eyes Closed (Vivir es facil con los ojos cerrados) from Spain, directed by David Trueba, which was nominated for Best Picture at the Goya Awards and earned six other nominations; Jim Jarmusch’s Only Lovers Left Alive, which stars Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston (pictured) and Mia Wasikowska; and Belle from the United Kingdom, starring Tom Wilkinson, Emily Watson, Matthew Goode and Miranda Richardson.
Also worth noting, as part of the festival’s Doc-You-Up series: the international premiere of City of God: 10 Years Later (Cidade de Deus: 10 Años Depois) from Brazil, directed by Luciano Vidigal and Cavi Borges. The documentary revisits the 2002 feature film City of God, directed by Fernando Meirelles and Katia Lund and nominated for four Oscars, which followed the lives of two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro.
The festival, which runs March 7-16, will announce its full lineup later this month. For schedule information and advance ticket purchase, visit miamifilmfestival.com or call 305-405-6433.
On Our Radar
- Mario Chalmers: It's going to be an exciting Miami Heat season
- Spied around Miami: ARod, Katy Perry's ex, Shaq
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules