Miami Book Fair serving up feast of food authors
Foodies can get things cooking at the Miami Book Fair's bevy of literary events featuring chefs and cookbook scribes.
With barely a week to go until Miami Book Fair International takes over the streets of downtown, it’s time for food lovers to map out menus and, in some cases, buy tickets.
James Beard Award winner Norman Van Aken, chef and director of restaurants at Miami Dade College’s Miami Culinary Institute and author of the new memoir No Experience Necessary, co-hosts two 7:30 p.m. VIP dinners at MCI’s Tuyo.
Van Aken teams up Tuesday with New York chef Scott Conant, author of The Scarpetta Cookbook, and Nov. 21 with Spanish chef Bruno Oteiza, author of Del mercado al mantel: pasando por la cucina. Tickets to each dinner, which include copies of the respective chefs’ books, are $135 at 305-237-3200.
Cooking demonstrations, which take place at the Miami Culinary Institute’s third-floor Food and Wine Theater at 415 NE Second Ave., Miami, are $15 at www.miamibookfair.com or 305-237-3528. Here’s the schedule:
- Nov. 23: 11 a.m., John Moeller, Dining at the White House: From the President’s Table to Yours; 1 p.m., Van Aken; 3 p.m., Patricia Wells, The French Kitchen Cookbook: Recipes and Lessons from Paris and Provence.
- Nov. 24: 11 a.m., Peggy Kotsopoulos, Kitchen Cures: Revolutionize Your Health with Foods that Heal; 1 p.m., Brian Boitano, What Would Brian Boitano Make? Fresh and Fun Recipes for Sharing with Family and Friends; 3 p.m., Ingrid Hoffmann, Latin D’ Lite: Delicious Latin Recipes With a Healthy Twist.
Author panels, which take place next door to MCI on the first floor of Miami Dade College’s Building 6, Room 6100, are free, with no reservations needed. Here’s the lineup:
Nov. 23 panels
- Noon: Leticia Moreinos Schwartz, My Rio de Janeiro: A Cookbook; Manuel Villacorta, Peruvian Power Foods; Maureen Fant, Sauces and Shapes: Pasta the Italian Way.
- 1:30 p.m.: Sandra A. Gutierrez, Latin American Street Food: The Best Flavors of Markets, Beaches, and Roadside Stands from Mexico to Argentina; Lolis Eric Elie, Treme: Stories and Recipes from the Heart of New Orleans; Michael Ruhlman, The Book of Schmaltz: Love Song to a Forgotten Fat.
- 3 p.m.: Hoffmann, Kotsopoulos and Boitano.
- 4 p.m.: Michael Steinberger, The Wine Savant: A Guide to the Wine Culture; Paul Lukacs, Inventing Wine: A NewHistory of One of the World’s Most Ancient Pleasures.
Nov. 24 panels
- 1 p.m.: Moeller, Wells and Van Aken.
- 3 p.m.: Rachel Roque, Cocina Latina: El sabor del mundo latino; Antoni Miralda, Power Food.
- 4 p.m.: Mandy Baca, The Sizzling History of Miami Cuisine; Deeny Kaplan Lorber, Waiting at Joe’s; Ellen Kanner, Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith, and What to Eat for Dinner.
Also of interest is the 2 p.m. Nov. 23 panel in Building 8, Room 8301, featuring authors Rosie Schaap (Drinking With Men: A Memoir), Anya Von Bremzen (The Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir) and Lucy Knisley (Relish: My Life in the Kitchen).
Also free of charge, the fair will celebrate this year’s featured country, Spain, with wine, tapas and flamenco dancing from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Nov. 22 on the first floor of Building 6 at Northeast First Avenue and Fourth Street.
Dinners & doings
- db Bistro Moderne, 255 Biscayne Blvd. Way, Miami, hosts a white truffle dinner at 7 p.m. Friday. The five-course meal costs $425, which includes wine pairings; 305-421-8800.
- Chef Todd English demonstrates maple-brined turkey and other Thanksgiving recipes at 2 p.m. Saturday at Macy’s Dadeland Home Store, 7675 Kendall Dr., Kendall. The event is free, but reservations are required; 877-556-2297.
- Scarpetta at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach celebrates its its fifth anniversary with a four-course dinner Wednesday hosted by chef Scott Conant. Cost is $95 (add $45 for wine pairings), and includes a copy of Conant’s new cookbook (see above); 305-674-4660.
- Chef-owner Andrew Carmellini is bringing Trufflepalooza, a three-course white truffle dinner, to The Dutch at W South Beach Hotel, 2201 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. The prix-fixe menu will be available Wednesday only for $75; 305-938-3111.
See and Do
- Video: #HowTo Miami Beach
- Easter Eggstravaganzas, Free Yoga & Munchkin Gardening: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 23-29
- Saturday event provides bikers of all levels a safe path in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - March 20-22
- Miami Open expands entertainment options with top chefs, models and Olympians
- Billy Porter plays Colony Theater this weekend
- St. Patty’s Day Fun, Free Play, Spring Break Prep & Legos: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 16-22
- Photo exhibit at UM Art Gallery explores life on the Texas High Plains
- 13th Annual Orchid Festival arrives this weekend
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - March 13-15