Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
South Florida suburbs rank at the top of the list of unsafe suburbs with Miami Beach and Miami Gardens holding prominent spots.
Our state always seems to crack the not-so-top 10 lists and South Florida always finds a way to shine when it's time to count down calamity.
Using the FBI’s most recent crime report from 2012, Movoto, a real estate research blog, computed that Miami Beach and Miami Gardens are the third and fifth most dangerous suburbs in the United States.
The ranking is based on the 116 largest suburbs of the top 50 most populous U.S. cities.
According to the ranking, those that “take their talents” to Miami Beach have a 1 in 9 chance of being a victim of crime. It’s also the second most dangerous suburb for total crime, which includes murder, theft and assault, with 10,947 crimes per 100,000 people in 2012.
Meanwhile, Miami Gardens has the third highest murder rate out of any suburb, with a 1 in 19 chance of being a crime victim.
Another Florida suburb, Jacksonville Beach, made the top 10 list at No. 9 as well.
On Our Radar
- Chris Bosh launches neckwear collection
- Estelle paints the town red at Blue Martini
- Giving advice on the modeling industry
- Maks Chmerkovskiy dancing into town
- Want to buy Scottie Pippen's house?
- Meet Jason Taylor at Macy's
- Popular TV anchor Louis Aguirre leaving Miami for Hollywood gig
- Diana Ross headlining annual gala
- Duran Duran movie coming to Miami Beach Cinematheque
- Tryouts for Estefan musical at Arsht