Miami-based Sports Grill expands into Pembroke Pines
The Broward restaurant will be the seventh in a growing mini empire that's been around for 25 years.
The west Broward restaurant formerly known as Rickey's, which briefly became Nicky's, only to go back to being Rickey's, has been bought by Miami-based Sports Grill.
An employee at Rickey's (220 NW 180th Ave., Pembroke Pines) said Thursday would be the restaurant's last day under current management. She said it would close for a few weeks and re-open as Sports Grill. Rickey's staff was meeting with the new owners to discuss employment opportunities at Sports Grill, she added.
A Miami-Dade County staple for more than 25 years, Sports Grill currently has six locations: 10005 SW 72nd St. (original), 9090 SW 97th Ave., 11481 SW 40th St., 1559 Sunset Dr., 2995 NE 163rd St. and 15462 NW 77th Ct. The Pembroke Pines restaurant will be the group's first in Broward County.
"It's a natural growing process for us," Sports Grill manager Mike "Spike" Anderson said of the expansion northward. "We brought someone on who used to be from Burger King, and that has been able to help us build on the company."
Rickey's, a Hollywood drinking-and-eating establishment since 1955, opened in Pembroke Pines' Silver Lakes neighborhood in 1997. New management took over in 2012, calling the place Nicky's. That lasted until January of this year, when it went back to being Rickey's (though signage from both Rickey's and Nicky's remains).
And now — or, soon — it will be Sports Grill. Rickey's, meanwhile, still has outposts in Pines and Hollywood.
Miami Herald and Miami.com special correspondent Mel Frishman contributed to this report.
- Beefed-up seafood menu at Steak 954
- New chef, hot-stone concept at Seasalt & Pepper
- NY-based Quality Meats to open Miami Beach steakhouse
- Miami's rising culinary stars: 30 Under 30
- Michelle Bernstein to pop up at Art Basel 2014
- The List: Rocco's Tacos' Rocco Mangel
- For Michael Mina's ninja-chef, freaking out is not an option
- Thanksgiving 2014: South Florida Dining Guide
- Chef Brad Kilgore to open Alter restaurant in Wynwood
- Secretive "Dîner en Blanc" coming in December