Miami-based artist Mijares designs Weekend cover for The Miami Herald
Artwork will be on display at Coconut Grove Arts Festival and sold for charity
When we came up with the idea to select a local artist to create this week's cover of The Miami Herald's Weekend section, powered by Miami.com, Alexander Mijares was our first and only choice.
A Miami native with Cuban and Spanish roots, we couldn't think of anyone whose artistc style is more suited to capture the event-packed activity of this weekend, starting with Valentine's Day and highlighted by the Coconut Grove Arts Festival, Art Wynwood, and the Miami International Boat Show.
His work for Weekend shows a woman on a sail boat, near a grove and surrounded by hearts. The piece will be available for viewing and purchase this weekend at Booth 101-102 at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival with a portion of the proceeds of the sale donated to the Coconut Grove-based Shake-A-Leg Foundation.
Mijares was recently selected to design the official medals for the 2014 Miami Marathon and was the very first medal artist to also participate in the race. In addition, Mijares will serve as the official featured poster artist of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival. A founding member within the “Influencer Circle” of YoungArts, an organization dedicated to supporting and empowering the next generation of young artists, Mijares was very active during Miami Art Week 2013, debuting a new collection of work at his pop-up gallery in Wynwood.
(Photos by Elizabeth Renfrow. Video by Tomas Loewy)
Editor / Miami.com and Weekend
On Our Radar
- Chazz Palminteri tells his 'Bronx Tale'
- Athletes seen partying in Miami
- Is Miami Heat star Chris Bosh OK?
- Latin stars come together for Premios Lo Nuestro
- William Levy front and center at rum event
- Diana Nyad to re-create famous swim on stage
- Report: Rapper Vanilla Ice arrested
- Emeril Lagasse talks food, milestones and Florida
- Wyclef Jean, Barry Gibb among performers at Miami Beach centennial concert
- Own a piece of art by Chris Brown