Cabaret singer, performance artist plays Miami Beach this weekend
Imagine, if you will (or if you can), a black-haired, punk-eyed Marlene Dietrich reincarnated as a very glamorous bag lady, who purrs like a manic Eartha Kitt, sings like a whiskey-voiced angel, with the patient humor of a drag queen who’s been up two nights straight.
And then, cool cats and pretty kitties, you’ll have an idea of the theatrical creation that is Meow Meow. She sings Brecht and Brel with the best. She quaffs your drinks. She makes men laugh and blush. She could hold the attention of even a Twitter addict.
Adored from Australia to London to New York, Ms. Meow is a cabaret singer slash performance artist slash stand-up comedian slash something else the world hasn’t quite figured out yet. She slinks into Miami Beach with her show Beyond Glamour this Friday, April 22 and Saturday, April 23 courtesy of the Miami Light Project.
The lovely lady has performed at the Sydney Opera House, Joe’s Pub, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and too many arts festivals and dank nightspots to count. She’s no slouch among august intellectual-media circles either, acclaimed by the London Times for putting “the beauty and beastliness of [cabaret] back where it belongs: out on the edge and in your face”, while Time Out New York claims she "drags cabaret kicking and screaming into the 21st century."
Meow Meow’s act was named one of the Best Performances of 2010 by the New Yorker, which praised it as “part cabaret and part Phyllis Diller with a bit of Piaf thrown in.” Yeow.
Get your cat on at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Colony Theater (1040 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach). Tickets are $20 to $35 at www.miamilightproject.com or at the theater box office; a $50 VIP ticket gets you into a post-show party Friday night at Wall nightclub at the W Hotel. For more than you'd ever need (but might really like) to know about Meow Meow, check out www.meowmeowrevolution.com
Music in Miami
- Virginia Key Grassroots Festival offers four days of music, camping, fun
- Charlie Wilson performs in Miami this Saturday
- Julio Iglesias, Latin lion in winter, sings Saturday at AmericanAirlines Arena
- Tessanne Chin talks 9 Mile Music Festival
- Andrea Bocelli serenades South Florida for Valentine's Day
- Global Cuba Fest offers new spectrum of music from the island
- Kurt Elling concert celebrates music’s creative minds
- Barry Manilow showing no signs of slowing down
- Review: Billy Joel finds new meaning in familiar favorites at first of two Sunrise concerts
- Saxophonist Kenny Garrett plays Davie Saturday