Melanie Fiona a soul girl
She's opened for Kanye and Alicia, now she's out on her own
11 p.m. LIV nightclub at the Fontainebleau
Melanie Fiona is on the up and up. Her career, that is.
The Canadian neo-soul singer is known for breakout singles Give It to Me Right and It Kills Me, off her debut album The Bridge, which hit No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 R&B charts.
Already hon-ored by the BET network as a Grey Goose Rising Icon, the sultry songstress has opened for biggies like Kanye West and Alicia Keys. Watch Fiona's star rise even farther when she plays LIV at 11 p.m. Saturday.
What will your concert be like?
Fun! I absolutely love to perform and I can't hide that on stage. My shows always reflect the different musical styles that have influenced me, so no two songs sound the same. It's gonna be energetic, sexy and interactive.
Do you like to change it up?
For sure. Whenever I'm in different cities I always do something a little different from the last city. I want each show and audience to feel that their experience is unique. I know Miami will especially appreciate my West Indian reggae roots.
Who is on your iPod right now? Drake, BoB, Janelle Monae. They're a part of a new movement that's making real music. Real talent.
What music did you grow up with? All kinds of music, mostly soul. Greats like Nat King Cole, Sam Cooke, Ben E. King. Because of my Caribbean heritage, lots of Bob Marley and Byron Lee. And as I got older, more hip-hop and R&B -- Lauryn Hill, Biggie.
Do you have any news? I have an acoustic EP coming out. I'm also working on my new album, The MF Life, and I'm really happy about how it's coming together. We're releasing the first single in October. Right now I'm featured on John Legend's new single Wake Up, produced by The Roots and featuring Common.
What is the best career advice you've ever received?
Always listen to your gut.
On Our Radar
- Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
- Will Smith seen relaxing at Zuma
- Local designer wins Lifetime's 'Under the Gunn'
- 'House of Cards' star Kevin Spacey dines out
- Austin Mahone celebrates 18th birthday
- Miracle Myles: Myles Chefetz's South of Fifth takeover continues with Prime Private
- Fashion designer Ariana Rockefeller at Alene Too
- Rafael Nadal spends time in presidential suite
- Mayim Bialik is a geek and plays one on TV
- David Beckham's line of swimwear coming to H&M