Meet the Old Spice guy
Seen those funny Old Spice ads on TV starring Isaiah Mustafa? You've likely seen the former-NFL-player-turned-actor in ``The Man Your Man Could Smell Like'' campaign; there are four spots, to be...
Seen those funny Old Spice ads on TV starring Isaiah Mustafa?
The goofy ad has done well on YouTube -- and on TBS's Funniest Commercials of the Year special, airing 10 p.m. Thursday, we can see if it's a winner. Mustafa will host the show, featuring appearances by other pitchmen, including Jonathan Goldsmith, of Dos Equis beer's ``Most Interesting Man in the World'' spots.
We chatted briefly with Mustafa, who is rumored to be dating Neve Campbell (no comment) and will star in Tyler Perry's upcoming Madea's Big Happy Family.
You must have a ton of Old Spice in your house.
``They keep me well-stocked. They gave me a year's supply. When that runs out, I get another year.''
Why did you want to rep this scent?
``It's one of those things that's been in every locker room I've ever been in. It's been around for almost 75 years now; I was definitely aware of it before. I was so blessed to be the spokesperson for it.''
How do you get so buff?
``I was already in shape. I worked out on a consistent basis before the job. That's just how I am. I just like working out. Now I maintain.''
What's your routine like?
``I do the P90X [a mix of various workouts] with Tony Horton, so it's fun. Other than that, I keep it to chin-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups -- just a lot of them. I have [football legend] Herschel Walker's type of mentality. I work out all throughout the day.''
What was the biggest challenge of the ads?
``Everything is done in real time, right there. There is no splicing; it's one take. That's what makes them so unique.''
-- MADELEINE MARR
On Our Radar
- Will Smith seen relaxing at Zuma
- Local designer wins Lifetime's 'Under the Gunn'
- 'House of Cards' star Kevin Spacey dines out
- Austin Mahone celebrates 18th birthday
- Miracle Myles: Myles Chefetz's South of Fifth takeover continues with Prime Private
- Fashion designer Ariana Rockefeller at Alene Too
- Rafael Nadal spends time in presidential suite
- Mayim Bialik is a geek and plays one on TV
- David Beckham's line of swimwear coming to H&M
- Miami natives premiering alien movie