Meals on Wheels
Rethinking road food with tacos, burgers & fries
Latin Burger and Taco
Track location on Twitter (@latinburger), Facebook (Latin Burger)
Prices: Burgers $5.75, tacos $2.50 each, fries $2.25
Hours: Lunch 11am-2:30pm, dinner 6-8pm
FYI: Cash only
Latin Burger and Taco, a new venture from Food Network star Ingrid Hoffmann and Jim Heins, rolled onto the streets of Miami in December, following the mobile food crazes in Los Angeles and New York. Locations are posted an hour or so before the truck appears and, lately, this is happening primarily in Wynwood and Kendall. Reporter Jodi Mailander Farrell got her first taste of tacos on the move this month and checks in with a report from the field…
I stalked for weeks on Twitter and Facebook, frustrated because the gourmet food truck never came near my neighborhood. Then, one late Tuesday afternoon, a post went up: The truck was parked just south of Kendall Drive on U.S. 1, 6-8pm. Like a kid chasing the ice cream man, I dove into rush-hour traffic, searching for the big black-and-pink truck. No line at the window. Hurray! Cash only? Oh, crap. Back into traffic, looking for an ATM. Is a burger on the side of the road really worth this?
In a word – yes. The Latin Macho - a chorizo, chuck and sirloin burger with Oaxaca cheese, caramelized onions, jalapenos and red pepper mayo – does not disappoint. When I bit into the two-inch-thick double-patty Macho (yes, I measured) on a squishy sesame seed bun, I was more than impressed. I was equally smitten with the 3 Amigos Tacos, a soft-tortilla trio with shredded chicken, barbecued pork with avocados and loads of add-ons. The thin fries, seasoned with dried herbs and a slight citrus kick, were limp, hot and gone in a minute.
- Slow Food's Ark of Taste at Paraiso Bay
- The List: Oceanaire's Kareem Anguin
- Miami Beach's Macchialina to open in Asheville
- Fresh American Bistro debuts in Sunny Isles
- The List: Seagrape's Michelle Bernstein
- Pubbelly and Wynwood Brewing Co. to open restaurant, beer bar on cruise ship
- Are these the best restaurants in South Florida?
- La Nuit en Rosé wine festival coming to Miami Beach Edition
- Miami's 15 most anticipated restaurants of 2015
- The List: 50 Eggs' John Kunkel