Meet Miami Beach International Fashion Week's 12-year-old designer Christopher Abella.
Christopher Abella may only be 12 years old, but the Miami local is showing his collection at the year's Miami Beach International Fashion Week. Read out Q&A with the wiz kid.
You are only 12 years old! How did you decide to become a designer? I remember standing in my crib and watching my mother get ready for work. She would wear elegant suits and blouses and I remember thinking how beautiful she looked. When I learned to hold a pencil, I began to draw. First I drew stick figures, very long skinny bodies. Then, with private fashion design classes, I learned to draw the correct body measurements and fashion poses.
Describe your design aesthetic: My design aesthetic can be described in one word — elegance.
Why is Miami Beach International Fashion Week so important to you? Miami Beach International Fashion Week is an important event in the Fashion world. I want to have my designs on the runway and show the world my God-given talent.
Do you think your participation in Miami Beach International Fashion Week will precipitate into bigger things? I think my participation in Miami Beach International Fashion Week will bring attention to my talent and I hope it gives me the opportunity to identify a mentor that will want to hire me as a fashion designer.
Who is your favorite designer? My favorite designer is Valentino. I admire the style and elegance in his designs.
You are a Miami native, how does this shape your vision? Miami has so many beautiful women from all over the world. I want to dress them in my elegant gowns and make Miami an international leader in fashion.
Miami Beach International Fashion Week
- Coral Gables native and Miami-based designer Alexis Barbara Isaias shares her local musts.
- 5 Surprising Facts About Kimora Lee Simmons
- Bammies: A Miami Startup Making Pajamas Work Appropriate
- Art Basel Brings a Louis Vuitton and Marcel Wanders Collaboration
- Meet Miami's Own Designer Behind The Nomadic Collector
- Shinola Opens in Wynwood
- Stuart Weitzman Knows What Women Want
- Steve Madden Celebrates 25 Years
- Pumping It Up with Aquazzura's Edgardo Osorio
- Finding Inspiration with Marchesa’s Keren Craig