¡Mayday! meets Mafia II
¡Mayday! and Garcia will perform at the Mafia II Community Launch Party.
Mafia II Launch Party
Sunday, August 22
697 Miami Ave.
Miami, FL 33136
Love video games? What about hip-hop? Well, the good folks at Gamertag Radio, who have made a career out of mixing those two seemingly unrelated passions, have the perfect event for you: The Mafia II Community Launch Party.
Taking place Sunday, August 22 at Grand Central in Miami, attendees will be able to play Mafia II by 2K Games before its August 24 release. If that wasn’t enough, Miami hip-hop heroes ¡Mayday! and Garcia will be performing, along with DJ Sharpsound.
¡Mayday! will likely play new tracks from its upcoming sophomore LP, Stuck On An Island, set to be released October 12. Garcia will debut his new live set up that includes a DJ and a drummer.
The event starts at 8 p.m. and is free for everyone 18 and older. The first 200 people (21 and up) at the door from 8 to 9 p.m. will have open bar access. And if you’ve already pre-ordered the game, bring your receipt and you’ll skip the line outside.
The show is being co-hosted by hip-hop radio legend Miss Info of Hot 97 in New York, along with Gamertag Radio founder Godfree (Danny Pena) and co-owner Peterocc (Peter Toledo).
Pena, 33, was born in New York City but moved to Miami in 1992. He started Gamertag Radio, a website and weekly podcast, in 2005 as a way of mixing his two passions: Hip-hop music and video games.
“I always wanted to do something different and unique,” he said. The podcasts often feature music by up-and-coming rappers and groups, and the show has interviewed acts like Snoop Dogg and Cypress Hill.
Toledo, 36, who knew Pena through his wife, officially joined the Gamertag Radio team in 2006 and has become co-owner since.
“We became good friends through our common bond of hip-hop and games,” he said.
Although the two grew up on a healthy diet of old school hip-hop (think Sugarhill Gang and Fat Boys), they’ve embraced up-and-coming and local artists, and it shows in the events they put on.
Their annual Community Vibes event has grown bigger and bigger each year, and the 5th edition, held in February, featured performances by ArtOfficial, ¡Mayday! and Garcia, and had out-of-town fans waiting outside the venue for hours before being let in.
The Mafia II Community Launch Party also poses an interesting new challenge for Pena and Toledo: They’re taking the event to New York City on August 28.
For more information on both the Miami and New York events, check out Gamertag Radio.
Music in Miami
- Erykah Badu, Run DMC and Sheila E. highlight Jazz in the Gardens 10th anniversary line-up
- Roberto Rodriguez Quartet performs at the Olympia Theater's jazz series
- Virginia Key GrassRoots Festival Announces Lineup
- Jacob Jeffries performs Wednesday at CANVAS in downtown Miami
- Fleetwood Mac’s reunion with Christine McVie akin to ‘performance art,’ band’s founder says
- Phil Collins unable to sing Saturday night at his foundation’s gala on Miami Beach
- The Hot Sardines bring infectious jazz sound to South Miami on Saturday
- Phillip Phillips brings raspy rock to Seminole Hard Rock on Saturday
- Review: Pitbull, Enrique Igelsias celebrate Miami at sold out concert
- American Authors bring alt-rock sound to Revolution