Marley's Nine Mile Music Festival celebrates 20 years
Legacy to live on at Saturday's show, Virginia Key Park in Miami
The Nine Mile Music Festival returns to Miami for its 20th annual celebration on March 2, 2013, at Virginia Key Park. The 12-hour festival will include performances by Stephen Marley, Damian Marley, Capleton, 2 Chainz, Future and Luciana. Daniel “Bambaata” Marley, Bob Marley's grandson, will also perform. Gates open at 2 p.m.
The festival, which was pioneered by Bob Marley’s mother, Cedella Marley Booker, has been a highlight for hip hop, soca and reggae fans since it began in 1993. Beyond the music, Cedella also helped to incorporate concert's annual food drive. On top of the admission ticket, which is $53 for general admission and $174 for VIP, each person must bring four cans of food in order to gain entry. The can goods are then distributed to Miami shelters and in Jamaica. Since it’s existence, the festival has collected roughly 2 million cans of food. Cedella passed away in 2008, due to natural causes. However, the concert's traditions live on.
“It means a lot to be doing this show in her honor,” Bambaata said. “If not for her, we wouldn’t be here representing this legacy.” This is the third time Bambaata will take to the stage with his uncles, and it'll be the first time he performs an entire set solo at such a large arena.
For the second year, the Marley concert will take place at Virginia Key Beach Park, as opposed to its Downtown Miami location. Representatives say that the new venue is larger in size and allows the good vibes to continue beyond Bayfront Park's 10 p.m. curfew.
- Unplug & Reconnect on a Staycation Getaway in The Palm Beaches
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Miami Under 40 Mixer, African Wardrobe Festival, Black & White Affair, and more
- The American Black Film Festival Returns to Miami
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afro Roots World Music Festival, The Man in 3B film screening, Wynwood Art Walk
- National Black Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference featuring Business Leaders, Celebrities
- Miami Soul giveaway: Exclusive Invitation for “The Man in 3B” Red Carpet Film Screening
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kindred the Family Soul, YPN Broward Day Party, Miami Under 40 Networking, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more