Marley's Nine Mile Music Festival celebrates 20 years
Legacy to live on at Saturday's show, Virginia Key Park in Miami
The Nine Mile Music Festival returns to Miami for its 20th annual celebration on March 2, 2013, at Virginia Key Park. The 12-hour festival will include performances by Stephen Marley, Damian Marley, Capleton, 2 Chainz, Future and Luciana. Daniel “Bambaata” Marley, Bob Marley's grandson, will also perform. Gates open at 2 p.m.
The festival, which was pioneered by Bob Marley’s mother, Cedella Marley Booker, has been a highlight for hip hop, soca and reggae fans since it began in 1993. Beyond the music, Cedella also helped to incorporate concert's annual food drive. On top of the admission ticket, which is $53 for general admission and $174 for VIP, each person must bring four cans of food in order to gain entry. The can goods are then distributed to Miami shelters and in Jamaica. Since it’s existence, the festival has collected roughly 2 million cans of food. Cedella passed away in 2008, due to natural causes. However, the concert's traditions live on.
“It means a lot to be doing this show in her honor,” Bambaata said. “If not for her, we wouldn’t be here representing this legacy.” This is the third time Bambaata will take to the stage with his uncles, and it'll be the first time he performs an entire set solo at such a large arena.
For the second year, the Marley concert will take place at Virginia Key Beach Park, as opposed to its Downtown Miami location. Representatives say that the new venue is larger in size and allows the good vibes to continue beyond Bayfront Park's 10 p.m. curfew.
- Miami Soul Labor Day weekend guide: AfroBeats Day Party, Day La Soul Day Party, The Jam 90's Party and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Amaris Jones' Sunday Remastered Dinner Party, Flow Fridays, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Grit, Grits, and Glitter; Brunch on the Bay, Sigma Cookout, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Lyric Live featuring Regina Belle, DanceAfrica Miami, Day La Soul day party, and more
- DanceAfrica Miami debuts August 5-7
- Miami Soul weekend guide: International Music Fest, Overtown Music Festival, Lyric Comedy Fest, and more
- 5 things to look forward to at the Overtown Music & Arts Festival
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Ankara Swim, Bobby Valentine Single Release party, Sounds of Little Haiti, and more
- Miami Soul 4th of July weekend guide: Afropolitan Miami, Afrikin, Day La Soul, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: 12th Annual Irie Weekend and other things to do June 23 - 26, 2016