Marley's Nine Mile Music Festival celebrates 20 years
Legacy to live on at Saturday's show, Virginia Key Park in Miami
The Nine Mile Music Festival returns to Miami for its 20th annual celebration on March 2, 2013, at Virginia Key Park. The 12-hour festival will include performances by Stephen Marley, Damian Marley, Capleton, 2 Chainz, Future and Luciana. Daniel “Bambaata” Marley, Bob Marley's grandson, will also perform. Gates open at 2 p.m.
The festival, which was pioneered by Bob Marley’s mother, Cedella Marley Booker, has been a highlight for hip hop, soca and reggae fans since it began in 1993. Beyond the music, Cedella also helped to incorporate concert's annual food drive. On top of the admission ticket, which is $53 for general admission and $174 for VIP, each person must bring four cans of food in order to gain entry. The can goods are then distributed to Miami shelters and in Jamaica. Since it’s existence, the festival has collected roughly 2 million cans of food. Cedella passed away in 2008, due to natural causes. However, the concert's traditions live on.
“It means a lot to be doing this show in her honor,” Bambaata said. “If not for her, we wouldn’t be here representing this legacy.” This is the third time Bambaata will take to the stage with his uncles, and it'll be the first time he performs an entire set solo at such a large arena.
For the second year, the Marley concert will take place at Virginia Key Beach Park, as opposed to its Downtown Miami location. Representatives say that the new venue is larger in size and allows the good vibes to continue beyond Bayfront Park's 10 p.m. curfew.
- Miami Soul Going Out Guide: Our Family Dinner, The Color Purple stage play, Redman & Talib Kweli live, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Women's Innovation Brunch, Carib Film Fest, Delta Sigma Theta Red Shoe Luncheon, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Ankara Miami African Fashion Week, Alvin Ailey Dance Theater, Big Night in Little Haiti, and more
- Techies, Innovators Converge in Miami for Black Tech Week February 23 - 28
- Miami Soul weekend guide: 9 Mile Music Festival, Jazz & Love Concert, Purvis Young Opening Reception, and more
- Miami Soul: Black History Month 2015 Celebrations around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Super Bowl weekend fun
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Black Coffee Africa Party, Miami Soul Sessions, Mellow Dramatic Mondays, and more
- Miami Soul Travel Series: Island Hopping in the Amazing Greece
- Miami Soul: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. service events and celebrations around South Florida