Marley's Nine Mile Music Festival celebrates 20 years
Legacy to live on at Saturday's show, Virginia Key Park in Miami
The Nine Mile Music Festival returns to Miami for its 20th annual celebration on March 2, 2013, at Virginia Key Park. The 12-hour festival will include performances by Stephen Marley, Damian Marley, Capleton, 2 Chainz, Future and Luciana. Daniel “Bambaata” Marley, Bob Marley's grandson, will also perform. Gates open at 2 p.m.
The festival, which was pioneered by Bob Marley’s mother, Cedella Marley Booker, has been a highlight for hip hop, soca and reggae fans since it began in 1993. Beyond the music, Cedella also helped to incorporate concert's annual food drive. On top of the admission ticket, which is $53 for general admission and $174 for VIP, each person must bring four cans of food in order to gain entry. The can goods are then distributed to Miami shelters and in Jamaica. Since it’s existence, the festival has collected roughly 2 million cans of food. Cedella passed away in 2008, due to natural causes. However, the concert's traditions live on.
“It means a lot to be doing this show in her honor,” Bambaata said. “If not for her, we wouldn’t be here representing this legacy.” This is the third time Bambaata will take to the stage with his uncles, and it'll be the first time he performs an entire set solo at such a large arena.
For the second year, the Marley concert will take place at Virginia Key Beach Park, as opposed to its Downtown Miami location. Representatives say that the new venue is larger in size and allows the good vibes to continue beyond Bayfront Park's 10 p.m. curfew.
- Norwegian Escape debuts with blazing performance by Pitbull aka Mr. 305
- Cadillac features 2015 Cadillac ATS model at Road to Table Culinary Experience at Michael’s Genuine
- The City of Miami Gardens presents a foodies’ paradise at inaugural Miami Gardens Wine & Food Experience
- Five tips to prepare you for Diner en Blanc Miami on Saturday, November 14, 2015
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afropolitan Miami, Art of Transformation Opening Reception, and more
- 4th Annual Beach Road Trip weekend heads to the Florida Keys
- 2015 Caribe Arts Fest - A Celebration of Caribbean Art, Music, and Film
- Sean “Diddy” Combs Receives Keys to the City of Miami Beach, Honored with "REVOLT Music Conference Day" designation
- 3rd Annual South Beach Seafood Festival October 21-24, 2015
- Diddy's 2nd Annual REVOLT Music Conference Takes Over Miami