Mario Cantone brings it to Hard Rock Live
Won't hold back
It’s Kismet: Sex and the City comedian Mario Cantone plays Hard Rock Live on Thursday, which also happens to be gay National Coming Out Day.
“I am lucky I am where I am because I was always out,” says Cantone, a New Yorker who last week celebrated his first wedding anniversary with husband Jerry Dixon, a Broadway musical director. Dixon has written two new songs for Cantone’s Hard Rock gig, his first full-scale South Florida performance in about eight years. He plans to take the new one-man show to Broadway sometime in 2013. Cantone, who says he prefers singing to telling jokes, will reprise some material from his previous show, Laugh Whore, which played New York and was recorded for Showtime.
“Sometimes people yell out for the old shit and you have to give them what they want.” Will Cantone perform his blistering impersonations of Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland? “You bet your ass!” he says. “I have a brand new Liza number that Jerry wrote. Some new stuff with her and her mother. She doesn’t like it, but I don’t give a shit. I don’t want to hang out with her anyways. She’s a brilliant performer, but she’s exhausting.”
Mario Cantone appears 8 p.m. Thursday at Hard Rock Live, 1 Seminole Way, near Hollywood. Tickets $39-$69. www.hardrocklivehollywoodfl.com.
On Our Radar
- It's decision time for Dwyane Wade
- Launch party for Moscai hosted at The W
- Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo spotted at W Hotel
- Magic Mike XXL stars at Miami Walk of Fame ceremony
- Irie Weekend a success
- Report: Prince Royce needs to pay up
- Real Housewives couple sue
- Kylie Jenner makes appearance at Sugar Factory
- AC Hotel opens with a stylish bang
- Audrina Patridge: I'm loving life