Mario Cantone brings it to Hard Rock Live
Won't hold back
It’s Kismet: Sex and the City comedian Mario Cantone plays Hard Rock Live on Thursday, which also happens to be gay National Coming Out Day.
“I am lucky I am where I am because I was always out,” says Cantone, a New Yorker who last week celebrated his first wedding anniversary with husband Jerry Dixon, a Broadway musical director. Dixon has written two new songs for Cantone’s Hard Rock gig, his first full-scale South Florida performance in about eight years. He plans to take the new one-man show to Broadway sometime in 2013. Cantone, who says he prefers singing to telling jokes, will reprise some material from his previous show, Laugh Whore, which played New York and was recorded for Showtime.
“Sometimes people yell out for the old shit and you have to give them what they want.” Will Cantone perform his blistering impersonations of Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland? “You bet your ass!” he says. “I have a brand new Liza number that Jerry wrote. Some new stuff with her and her mother. She doesn’t like it, but I don’t give a shit. I don’t want to hang out with her anyways. She’s a brilliant performer, but she’s exhausting.”
Mario Cantone appears 8 p.m. Thursday at Hard Rock Live, 1 Seminole Way, near Hollywood. Tickets $39-$69. www.hardrocklivehollywoodfl.com.
On Our Radar
- Madonna concert dates in Miami changed
- Christina Milian models in Miami Beach
- What's up with Ryan Tannehill's mega contract?
- Instacart: An easier way to get groceries?
- Tony Romo eats his way through Miami
- Phil Collins in town
- Adrian Grenier guest of honor at magazine party
- Kings of Chaos at Hard Rock Live
- Joe Pepitone biopic penned by local screenwriters
- Talking to Beyonce's fitness guru Marco Borges