Man vs. Meat
Burger lover and blogger extraordinaire Sef Gonzalez takes on the Quickie Challenge.
Dining with Sef “The Burger Beast” Gonzalez and his buddies on one of their perfect-burger quests is a lot like being on the dais at a comedy roast. Don't order a salad with your burger - unless you want to be mocked for a digital eternity on burgerbeast.com, the culinary blog Gonzalez has built in little over a year into a South Florida phenomenon with bi-monthly burger events that attract hundreds of people.
In these burger boom times, with upscale outlets like Burger & Beer Joint and 8 oz. Burger proliferating, the average fast-food junkie cannot come close to matching Gonzalez's obsession with the All-American meal. “Even when he was a little boy, all he ate were hamburgers,” says Sef's father, Serafin Gonzalez. “He wouldn't even eat pizza.” The younger Gonzalez wears his love for burgers like a turtle wears its shell, bringing it with him everywhere, be it restaurants where no one should order a burger (barbecue joints), on business trips (he manages a phone store) or on Burger Beast missions like his recent trip to Orlando to give Burger King's Whopper Bar a spin.
- Gonzalez and the “BB cast of characters” have blogged burger reviews of 125 South Florida restaurants, with envoys weighing in from Las Vegas, San Francisco and Tokyo
- Content extends beyond reviews, think coupons, news items and bizzaro deals like one earlier this week where any customer dressed in orange got a free burger at the Texas-based Whattaburger chain
- On Nov 21, Gonzalez attempts the Quickie's Challenge at Quickie's Burgers & Wings in Hollywood – consuming a four-pound cheeseburger in 90 minutes
- Quickie's co-owner Aleka Nakis has seen two Quickie's challengers wave the white flag after eating half the “Animal,” the four-pounder she chose for the challenge after a physician-friend told her a five-pound burger would risk stomach rupture
- On a recon trip last week, Gonzalez laid down the terms of warfare for the monster burger before him: “I am absolutely not going to cut it in half. If I can pick it up with my hands, I shouldn't have to. I am going to enjoy the first few bites ... and after that it's just going to be work.”
Quickie's 4lb Burger Eating Challenge
Sat, Nov 21, 6-7pm
100 South State Rd 7
- President Hello Kitty? She's got cookies to convince you
- South Beach Seafood Festival 2016 highlights top seafood chefs, restaurants
- Get yours: stone crab season starts Saturday
- Is this the best black-owned food truck in South Florida?
- Food just got a lot better at Heat's American Airlines Arena
- Luke's Diner will be a real place Wednesday. Here's where to get free coffee:
- Poke, not sushi, is what's cool in Miami. Yelp helps us find it
- What Zika? Governor visits Wynwood to promote dining event
- Where to eat great food, drink great wine and beer — and raise money
- Why the Hungry Black Man makes juice bar his pick of the week