Magic City star Jeffrey Dean Morgan talks Possession
New movie out Friday
Magic City star Jeffrey Dean Morgan has removed his crooked-hotelier hat to play a divorced father in The Possession, out Friday. The title more than hints at the plot. Morgan’s youngest daughter is taken over by an evil spirit from a haunted (dibbuk) box they bought at a yard sale. That these boxes, infamous in Jewish folklore, actually exist is what makes this film extra creepy. Morgan thinks so, too.
Are you a fan of horror movies in general?
I’m not a ghouly guy, though I’ve seen my fair share. I’ll watch them on pay-per-view when I’m in a hotel room and superbored. I don’t find that gory stuff to be scary. I like the Rosemary’s Baby types and The Shining and The Omen. Those were the first movies that scared the crap out of me. The Possession is a throwback to those good years. The genre has become so muddled with lack of story and weak character development and shaky cameras and loud bulls---. This film relies heavily on the lack of noises. The silence, the pauses. That’s the s--- that makes me sit on the edge of my seat.
What was shooting like?
The exorcism scene has got my hair standing up on the back of my neck thinking of it now. It happens to an actor every 20 years. Afterward, the whole crew was silent. Nobody would talk for like an hour. It was crazy. I looked at Kyra and we’d just gone through hell. We were kind of like, ‘What the f--- happened? What was that?!’
What’s happening with “Magic City”?
I’m here in Miami for the duration. I can’t wait to shoot season two next week. It feels like I never left. We are picking up full speed. It’s nice to have the first season under your belt, introducing the viewers to 1959 Miami and its array of characters. Finding Ike has taken time; he’s very complex. It’s been a pleasure getting to know him.
On Our Radar
- Demi Lovato: Eating disorder started when I was toddler
- Rap mogul Birdman dating Toni Braxton
- Sarah Jessica Parker popping in to Bloomingdale's Aventura
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?