Madonna takes stage at Ultra Music Festival on Saturday night
Chatted fans up, introduced Avicii, Saturday night's headliner
The rumors turned out to be very true, as Madonna returned to Miami and made a guest appearance at the Ultra Music Festival at Bayfront Park on Saturday, March 24.
At just past 11 p.m., Madonna, 53 and dressed in a black t-shirt, black latex pants and black and white striped sleeves, walked onto the stage and greeted the tens of thousands of fans in attendance.
She said after 14 years of Ultra she had finally made it to her first Ultra Music Festival, but "I was always here in spirit." She said she truly believes a DJ saved her life (making reference to the early-80s-era hit song). "In my world, the words music and dance are not seperated," she told the crowd. "Electronic music has been a part of my life since the beginning of my career."
Madonna, who has a new album out called MDNA, made a reference to the euphoria-enducing drug Ecstasy, which is a popular choice for some ravers who attend the electronic dance music marathon. "I have a question for you," Madonna said. "How many people in this crowd have seen Molly?" Molly - in this case short for molecule - is a slang term used for Ecstasy in its purest form. The name of Madonna's new album is also a play on words on the drug - the abbreviation for the drug is MDMA.
She then cursed at the crowd, asking if everyone was "ready for the next DJ mother f-ers" and introduced 22-year-old DJ Avicii, currently one of the hottest artists in the electronic music genre.
With over 37,000 people watching the live stream on YouTube, Madonna then joined Avicii in the DJ booth for some dancing, fist pumping and singing of her latest single "Girl Gone Wild" before departing backstage. After Avicii's performance the two were spotted backstage in a group photo with popular French DJ David Guetta.
- 11 DJs You Have To See During Miami Music Week and Ultra Music Festival
- SiriusXM Music Lounge returns to W Hotel for exclusive DJ sets during Miami Music Week
- Video displays in unusual shapes and places dominate Ultra Music Festival in Miami
- Tiesto, DJs battle on the soccer field at Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Top 10 DJs according to “Can U Feel It: The UMF Experience”
- Ultra Music Festival returns to its Bayfront roots
- Music Loves Fashion takes over Raleigh Hotel with Avicii and Skrillex
- Top Winter Music Conference Events for Sunday, March 25
- Top Winter Music Conference Events for Saturday, March 24
- Top Winter Music Conference Events for Friday, March 23