Macchialina's Michael Pirolo presents Pirolo's Panino Pop-Up, June 4-Aug 31
Summer and lunch-only NY/Philly-inspired sandwich shop
Macchialina Taverna Rustica isn't taking the European way out of summer and slowing down or retreating to George Clooney's bachelor pad on Lake Como. Instead, owner/chef Michael Pirolo is opening for lunch as Pirolo's Panino, a summer and lunch only casual sandwich shop open Tuesday June 4 through August 31 from noon to 3 p.m. The fast, casual spot offers counter service and eventually delivery.
On the menu: various panini priced at $12 to $22 including the Banh Mi(lano) with testa, mortadella and Asian pickles; a sweet and succulent Lobster Roll with Maine lobster and celery on brioche; made in-house Roast Pork with broccoli raab, fontina cheese and Calabrian chilies; The Godfather – sopressata, capicola, pickled eggplant and shaved onion; Clipse… (Grinding) with house-made roast beef, tomato, horseradish crème fraiche and crispy shallots; Meatball Parmigiana; and the Jive Turkey with chef’s balsamic-glazed roasted turkey breast, lettuce, tomato and Dijon-aise.
Rotating guest chef sandwich specials from Miami locals including Pubbelly’s Jose Mendin, Eating House’s Giorgio Rapicavoli, Scarpetta’s Nina Compton and Tongue & Cheek’s Jamie DeRosa are also planned.
For lighter fare, there are salads such as the Summer Salad – escarole, pistachios, peaches, goat cheese and lemon vinaigrette; or The 305 – pancetta, butter lettuce, radicchio, hazelnuts, dried cranberries and sherry vinaigrette; as well as house-made pickles, waffle fries, cabbage slaw and roasted burnt-end potatoes. To wash it all down, they’ll have craft beers and vintage sodas and, eventually, custom beer, brewed to pair with the sandwiches, from Gravity Brewing in Wynwood.
- Jerry's Famous Deli on South Beach is now closed
- Now open: N by Naoe, Kevin Cory's new Brickell Key prix fixe lunch spot
- Ibiza club and Señor Frog's opening in South Beach?
- Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
- Khong River House experiments with new menu items
- Closed for "summer vacation": La Maison Miami
- CATCH is closed and allegedly moving to a new Miami location
- NYC-based the Chef Agency expands to Miami
- The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in
- Slice of Brazil comes to life on urban farm in Fort Lauderdale