Love, Life, and the 411: Week of Feb 7th
Jill Tracey gives the 411 on where to go, what to do, and who to see this weekend.
“Travel, trouble, music, art, a kiss, a frock, a rhyme -- I never said they feed my heart, but still they pass my time.” ― Dorothy Parker
Friday, Feb. 7
Cue Diddy and double the spanx. We’re coming home…yes, its college homecoming season. Time to booze it up with friends you haven’t seen in 20 years in a weekend you will spend the next decade trying to forget. One of the oldest HBCU’s (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) in the U.S., Florida Memorial University celebrates homecoming this weekend with a step show and concert featuring Melanie Fiona, Doug E. Fresh, and Rico Love. Then of course after the show it’s the after part. Tickets $25 FMU students; $35 non-students. .Concert 7pm – 11pm at FMU's A. Chester Robinson Athletic Center, 15800 NW 42nd Ave, Miami Gardens.
After party 10pm – 5am – Tickets $10 in advance includes your first drink; $20 at the door; $45 VIP includes dinner. Jokes on the Beach, 1601 79th St. Causeway, Miami Beach (305) 626-3600.
Last Train Home
You may not remember the names of all the Pat Metheny songs you love, but you can name Last Train Home as soon as that horn starts to blow. Certainly part of my college soundtrack, Metheny re-emerged last year with new players, the Pat Metheny Unity Group that will be live this week as part of the Adrienne Arsht Center’s Jazz Roots series. The all-star ensemble released a new CD KIN just this week which features Chris Potter on sax, Antonio Sanchez on drums, bassist Ben Williams and multi-instrumentalist Giulio Carmassi. Tickets are scarce, but a few remain. Tickets $75 and $120 available at the box office (305) 949-6722. Knight Concert Hall, 1300 Biscayne Blvd.
Lately there are few parties where you won’t find Miami homeboy Chello on the mic. Host of the weekly music and poetry mashup, Touch the Mic Tuesdays, he is one of South Florida’s hottest comedians, favorite host, but most of all, son of Marshall Davis Sr., director of the African American Cultural Arts Center in Liberty City. “I come from an entertaining family – My dad and older brother Marshall Davis Jr. is one of the most acclaimed tap dancers in the world, so it’s in the blood.” Indeed. With Chello as the host, Amateur Night at the Lyric is looking to put Miami’s unsigned talent on the map. Think of it as Miami’s answer to New York’s Apollo Theater this and every first Friday of the month. All singers, dancers, rappers, spoken word artists...pretty much anyone who can hold a tune, the show is looking for you. Artists compete, the crowd decides ,and the winner takes home the $500 prize. The Lyric Theater, 819 NW 2nd Avenue. For info: call 305-636-2390, www.theblackarchives.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, Feb. 8
Can I take you home tonight?
Party man Gordon Eric Knowles has a lot to celebrate. He’s the new President of the Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce, his Lions and Kittens website is off and running, and Saturday night the hottest ladies in South Florida will be vying for his attention at the 2nd Annual Red Velvet Valentines Affair. It’s a dressy affair with prizes for the Best Dressed Belle of the ball, costume/outfit and more. Gordon along with Michelle Henney, Tony Major, and Dexter Bridgeman host the affair for singles and couples who are young enough to remember prom and old enough to get a room. It’s a sexy night with music by Xcess. Tickets are $20 at the door. Juana M Brickell, 923 Brickell Ave, Miami. For dinner reservations 215 206-1875.
Listen to Jill middays (10am-12:00pm) with James T on HOT 105 FM
- Unplug & Reconnect on a Staycation Getaway in The Palm Beaches
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Miami Under 40 Mixer, African Wardrobe Festival, Black & White Affair, and more
- The American Black Film Festival Returns to Miami
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afro Roots World Music Festival, The Man in 3B film screening, Wynwood Art Walk
- National Black Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference featuring Business Leaders, Celebrities
- Miami Soul giveaway: Exclusive Invitation for “The Man in 3B” Red Carpet Film Screening
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kindred the Family Soul, YPN Broward Day Party, Miami Under 40 Networking, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more