Love, Life, and the 411 - Soldiers of Love
Jill Tracey gives the 411 on where to celebrate love for Valentine's Day.
Love…so many people use your name in vain… -Musiq SoulChild
Valentine’s Day is so loaded with expectations and overwrought expressions of hallmark love. I say this year take the pressure off and just go out and have a good time. No cards, candy, flowers, claim you’re broke; your car note is due. Anything. Just plan a lovely evening for the one you love (or want to love) and if said mate can enjoy the day with you without a guilt trip, pouting, and or poisoning your drink, I’d say you’re well on your way to finding a love that is true indeed.
For the Love of Jazz
John Dixon’s Jazz Candle Light Picnic. When was the last time you packed a basket and headed out for a picnic? Well if you’re a friend of John Dixon it was probably last year this time. Dixon’s annual event brings together friends, couples, and families for a romantic evening of great music, food, and fun under the stars. South Florida’s own jazz man Big Brooklyn Red and Unclazzified will provide live music. Dixon’s got ambiance down to a science, and this year you can pre order your picnic basket from Petit Cakes Bakery – make sure you ask for cupcakes as your dessert. By Invitation Only.
Saturday, Feb 15th 7:00pm – Until. For location and other information: firstname.lastname@example.org. To order picnic baskets: call Petit Cakes at (786) 362-1980.
Living Love Lies
Dinner with the legendary Betty Wright is an invite you don’t get every day. So make it a date for #BLOVE A Valentine’s Day Experience hosted by Ms. Ingrid B and featuring Ms. Betty Wright and friends celebrating the release of her latest CD Living Love Lies. The night is set to be a family affair with BSide house pianist Allen Paul performing with Betty, and I’m told Betty is passing the torch and will introduce her daughters Bombshell and Asher Makeba as a performing duo. $15 in advance. Dinner starts at 8pm. Piano 5805 Seminole Way @ the Hard Rock Casino. For more information www.onthebside.com.
Love Caribbean Style
Because there are simply not enough “wives” reality shows on TV, grab everyone you know and head out to the viewing of The Caribbean Wives of South Florida sneak peak showing and red carpet event. It would appear the soon-to-be famous housewives will be on hand to meet and greet following the viewing. The 411 is they are hoping to get network attention by showing there’s a demand based on the number of people who show up for the screening. Hmmm in that case you think the event would be free. You would be wrong.
Sunday, February 16th - two shows 3:30 Matinee; 6:30 evening; $25 in advance, $30 at the door. Cinema Paradiso 503 SE 6th Street, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301 For tickets and info www.caribbeanwivesfla.eventbrite.com or call (954) 233-0212.
- Miami Soul 2016 Black History Month events and celebrations around South Florida
- Miami Soul: Florida Memorial University's Homecoming lineup featuring T.I. in concert, tailgating, and more
- Miami International Boat Show celebrates 75th Anniversary bigger & better February 11-15
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Live jazz, beer tastings, and other things to do in South Florida Jan 28 - Jan 31
- GastroWars Knife-Fight Competition & Craft Beer Pairings
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day celebration events and Day of Service projects throughout South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Zo's Winter Groove, Big Night in Little Haiti, Wine & Reggae Festival and more
- Florida Grand Opera debuts rarely-performed opera, Bellini’s Norma
- iPic Theaters opens in North Miami Beach for luxury movie going experience
- Funk Fest kicks off the New Year with live performances by Fantasia, New Edition, Doug E. Fresh and more