Love Life and the 411 March 27 - April 3
Jill Tracey gives the scoop on what to do and where to be seen.
But still, like air, I'll rise - Maya Angelou
Who You Calling A Bi---?
"Why are black women so angry?" I saw the headline and thought, surely they can’t be serious. Look again my friend. Are you sure that’s anger you see?? In part 2 ofThe Urban League of Miami’s engaging conversation,you are invited to come and share your two cents on the subject and maybe we can all get some clarity on the difference between sadness and rage and how to help others understand the difference when presented with a black woman on the brink… Thursday, March 27, 2014630 PM -8PM FREE. Urban League of Greater Miami, Inc. 8500 NW 25th Ave. RSVP to attend the conversation (305) 696-4450.
Reel Life Women
Much of that misunderstood anger hiding the grace below will be on display at the 9th Annual Women’s International Film Festival which opened Wednesday with the Red Carpet premier of “Greencard Warriors” starring Vivica Fox and continues through.The Mayfair Hotel Coconut Grove is the hosts Women’s International Film & Arts Festival and conference that supports women artists and will feature more than 50 films, panels, and parties. The Festival’s workshops and panels address the art and business of independent filmmaking with industry leaders sharing their gifts in a unique social environment. Now through Saturday, March 29th with various times and locations. Info: www.womensfilmfest.com.
Eat – Sip – Repeat!
I joke that you can’t throw a rock without hitting a Food and Wine Festival these days, honestly, there’s probably one going on in your parking lot right now, but I have to say I am a little excited by The Wilton Manors Wine & Food Festival Saturday. What joy! I was planning to go thrifting this weekend! Double the pleasure, double the fun! Organizers promise an epicurean adventure all to benefit 100+ Abandoned Dogs of the Everglades and the Gummakonda Reddy Foundation. The Wilton Manors Wine and Food Festival is Saturday, March 29 6pm - 10pm. General admission is $50.00 & $75.00 at the door. VIP admission is $75.00 or $100.00 at the door. 2430 NW 13th Avenue, Wilton Manors, FL. Red Ribbon Vineyard VIP Lounge opens at 5pm. Tickets can be purchase at www.wiltonmanorswineandfoodfestival.com or call 954-394-4322 for more information.
CED IN THE CITY
Long time Miami man about town Cedric Dawkins is proof that a man cannot live on sports and cars alone. There must be fashion and food and lots of it! He’s just started a delightful blog “CED IN THE CITY”. The blog is all fashion, food and fitness for the well-heeled and those that hope to be. Ced in the City hits all the of the moment restaurants, places to see and be seen, and always does it VIP. Follow Ced on Instagram at @CEDDRIZZY; Twitter at @CED_PR_KING and the blog at www.cedinthecity.wordpress.com.
Jodie Patterson, creator of an upscale line of body products and former beauty-marketing executive Benjamin Bernet’s worlds merged, clearly inspired by Miles Davis, and with a plan to create a chic online shopping destination that mirrored the ethnic diversity they spotted daily on the streets of New York. DOOBOP is just that providing personalized solutions, service and expert advice specifically with women of color in mind. Great brands and upscale lines to, for and by people who know first-hand how frustrating it is to be directed to the “ethnic” aisle in search of the right … anything! And best of all. Bethann Hardison one of the greatest forces in the fashion industry - first as a model, then as an agency owner and now an icon - is DOOBOP’s Godmother, assuring colored girls can shine bright like a diamond online. Point. Click. Shop.
- Miami Soul giveaway: Exclusive Invitation for “The Man in 3B” Red Carpet Film Screening
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kindred the Family Soul, YPN Broward Day Party, Miami Under 40 Networking, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more
- Miami Soul: 2nd Saturdays Wynwood Art Walk guide of cool events to check out July 11
- National Urban League Conference takes over South Florida July 29 - August 2, 2015 with Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush confirmed
- Miami Soul weekend guide: South Florida HBCU Picnic, RonDayVu Day Party, A Conversation on Haitian/Dominican Crisis
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine