Love, Life & the 411: Where to party for the Super Bowl
Jill Tracey gives her weekend best bets for the big game on Sunday
“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.”
-J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye
Are you ready for some football? Where, doing what and with whom you watch the big game is almost as much a ritual as the game itself so here’s the 411 on the best ways to get your game on this weekend.
Sunday, Feb. 2
Mark Higg’s Annual SuperGame party. Started at his estate over a decade ago and now it is bigger than ever. This is the place to be seen and party on game day. “Higgy” spares no expense, ballers fly in to this event from all over the country and the party goes until midnight. (It actually starts with a Friday night TouchDown, but that’s invite only) Tickets are $15 in advance; $20 at the door. Ballers reserve tables for $100; Shot Callers step it up to VIP for $600. Free Buffet from 4 p.m. – 5 p.m. Free Parking. Must be 21.
Tickets and info: Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino – Sport of Kings Showroom, 901 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach; Gulfstream Box Office at 954-454-7000 or Mark Higgs at 954-294-4084
The Super Bowl Watch Party. The Urban Professional Network - Ron Gibbs, Jawan Strader and G-Anthony Moore - have quite the flair for the dramatic so you can expect this event to be one sexy, flashy affair. The stylish trio will host taste makers and bottle chasers for a Super Bowl soiree at the MIDLOFT LOUNGE at George’s Kitchen (Midloft Lounge, 3401 N. Miami Ave.; www.midloftofmiami.com.). Great food, girls in Loubs and football on the tube - what more could a man want? $10 at the door and complimentary entry with table reservations. For more info e-mail RonGibbs1@me.com or LuxEventsMiami@gmail.com or call 305-305-7645. Reservations strongly suggested.
FanHouse is the best sports bar in town you haven’t been to. (13914 NW 7th Ave., Miami; 305-681-4100; click here for website) Opened earlier this year, owner Andre Baker has created a very cool authentic sports bar in the community but it’s been hard to draw consistent business. Probably because it’s the last thing you’d expect on NW 7th Ave. But look for the big baseball cap and spend your Super Bowl Sunday munching with former ‘Canes Edgerin James, Travis Benjamin, and Vernon Carey on by far the best chicken wings in the city. Drink specials include the FanHouse favorite Bob Marley and trust me - just one will have you feelin’ Irie mon! Formally trained Chef Frances Evans dishes are fresh, full of flavor and thoughtfully prepared. Having recently experienced several health scares, Frances says she cooks low on sodium and fat and high on flavor. Indeed the lemon pepper and cilantro honey wings will have you doing your own touchdown dance! Table reservation suggested.
Love ya, Mean it…
Listen to Jill Tracey from 10 a.m. – noon with James T on HOT 105 FM
- Miami Soul weekend guide: RonDayVu Day Party, Taste the Islands, Wireless Headphone Party Experience, and more
- Natural History Museum of Jamaica & Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Host VIP Reception
- Miami Soul weekend guide: American Friends of Jamaica Charity Gala, Miami Under 40, Flow Fridays & more
- Miami Soul giveaway: 25 Pairs of Passes to Experience INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3
- Miami Soul weekend music guide: Erica Campbell, Shirley Murdock, Sunshine Anderson, African Disco, and more
- Miami Soul: Perez Art Museum Miami Hosts Reception for the Fund for African-American Art
- The Mane Event: Indique Hair Miami Boutique Grand Opening
- Miami Soul Easter Weekend Guide
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, Florida Derby fancy hat brunch, Spoken Soul, and more
- Miami Soul: Pre-Jazz in the Gardens weekend guide