Love Life & the 411: Jazz in the Gardens pop-up party tonight
Mind, Body and Soul!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
POP-UP JAZZ PARTY
Not that long ago festivals like Jazz in the Gardens filled our calendars year round. From Cancun to Cincinatti to Monteray. Most of the greats have died off, sadly, however in it’s 9th year, Jazz in the Gardens is stronger than ever! Miami Gardens in March is a must destination and our friends in the polar vortex can’t get here soon enough! A great getaway, incredible music and memories to last a lifetime! The festivites begin next Friday but you can get a sneak peek of what’s to come at the #JITG9 Pop-up Party Friday night. DJ’s Heron and Self Born on the one’s and 2’s have crafted an entire night of music featuring songs by artists scheduled to perform at this year’s Jazz in the Gardens.
Part of Beats & Rhymes @ The Stage Miami. The event is on Friday, March 7 and it starts at 10 p.m. Admission is free. The Stage, 170 NE 38th St., Miami.
I KNOW WHO I AM AND IT’S BETTER THAN YOU THINK
They say everyone has a book in them. In Jonathan Spikes' case he’s got a book, a stage play, and perhaps a movie and lecture series or two. Last year this Miami native and survivor of incredible violence and abuse hosted a reading of his stage play adapted from his first book, "I Know What I Am and I Am Not What You Call Me." It was so well received Spikes returns to The Adrienne Arsht Center as part of the 8th annual MIAMI MADE FESTIVAL.
The fest features a week-long showcase of new works-in-progress created and performed by Miami-based artists, all of whom have previously collaborated with the Arsht Center. Written by Spikes and Shanteria Griglen, this play addresses the difficult subject of childhood sexual abuse and the resulting confusion it caused in an African-American household. An awe inspiring drama about relinquishing the shame of being abused and accepting oneself even if society is reluctant to do so. The result is an arresting portrait of hope and the true meaning of being a survivor and "McBlessed" child of God.
Original Play Reading: "I Know What I Am and I Am Not What You Call Me." Catch it Friday, March 7 - 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 8 - 3 p.m. at 1300 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami. Box Office: 305-949-6722.
Need to get away? My girls and I have been saying it since Christmas. If the stress of work, family, men, or the lack thereof is choking the life out of you, you are NOT alone. Grab your girls and say "hello relaxation" at the Sagamore, The Art Hotel’s Spring Chicks weekend.
Your staycation includes spa services, VIP entry to the hot nightclub of the moment on South Beach, and a weekend at one of South Beach’s most Instagram-worthy hotels. The luxurious, 93-all-suite Sagamore, The Art Hotel is the perfect mix of indulgence and relaxation which always makes for a rejuvenating experience. Based on a minimum two-night stay, the Sagamore’s “Spring Chicks” vacation starts at $345 per night and features:
• A $50 spa credit at Muse Beauty Suite
• A complimentary suite upgrade, based on availability
• One bottle of Prosecco
• VIP passes to a hot South Beach nightclub
• Yoga on the beach
• Daily beach chairs and an umbrella for two
• And complimentary Wi-Fi
A little pricey you say? Remember Memorial Day is on the way and the offer is good through May 31. To reserve this package, visit www.sagamorehotel.com or call 877-242-6673.
Love ya, Mean it!!
Listen to Jill weekdays with James T on Hot 105.FM
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Tis the season for holiday parties
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Diner En Blanc Miami Debut
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Remy Rendezvous Art Basel yacht party
- Miami Soul Ultimate Black Basel Guide - Part 2: The party guide for Art Basel 2014
- Miami Soul Ultimate Black Basel Guide - Part 1: Soul Basel, Art Africa, Fusion MIA, and more at Art Basel 2014
- Miami Soul: Ultra chic pop-up dining, Diner en Blanc, makes Miami debut
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Miami Reggae Fest, The Reggae Social, and more events
- 3rd Annual Art of Transformation: A series of artistic events celebrating the revitalization of Opa-locka
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Oprah's The Life You Want weekend & Covergirl Breakfast Power Meetup
- Emeline Michel holds benefit concert to benefit school in Haiti