Locos Por Juana take over The Stage and Palo! celebrates a decade of jamming
Two of Miami's favorite bands get their due, Mini Kiss does a free show at the Seminole Hard Rock and the Bimini SuperFast gets DJ Irie's musical expertise.
Not all house bands are as acclaimed as Locos Por Juana, the Afro-kumbe act that is now playing exclusively at The Stage Miami (170 NE 38th St., Miami), in a concert series dubbed La Fiesta Loca debuting at 9 p.m. Friday, August 16. Locos Por Juana joins Columbian audio/visual collective El Freaky, who blend African influences with South American and Caribbean folkloric music, and DJ Pauer. To make sure the crowd is appropriately loco for Locos, The Stage is throwing La Hora Loca just before they go on, featuring masks, glow sticks, noisemakers and drink specials. The “crazy party” series will occur once a month, with the second date confirmed for September 21. Also expected to appear: the Los Chamos food truck. Admission is $15 at the door. For more information, go to www.TheStageMiami.com.
A Decade of PALO!
Miami's beloved Afro-Cuban funk band PALO! celebrates an unprecedented 10 year anniversary at 9 p.m. Aug. 16 at PAX (337 SW 8th St., Miami). In addition to free food from El Rey De Las Fritas and free drinks, both from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m., admission is free as are PALO! T-shirts to the first 50 guests. The band hits the stage at 11 p.m. and everyone in attendance will be in the band's next video shoot so get ready for your close ups. We asked PALO! founder Steve Roitstein if the decade has been more Fleetwood Mac-dramatic or just aural bliss and he wrote, "Drama? Us? Naaaah," and ended the sentence with a wink.
No Bull, Just Music
Red Bull and music go together like the Road Runner and, well, anything. But contrary to popular belief, not everything Red Bull does is hopped up like a hyper active hipster. Such is the case from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 18 at the Delano Beach Club (1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) when the Red Bull Music Academy hosts Crew Love featuring slow down low down house duo Wolf + Lamb along with Soul Clap, Nick Monaco and Navid Izadi. At 10 p.m. the party continues to FDR where the music will continue until yawn--er, dawn. Event is free and open to the public by RSVP to crewlove.us/RSVP.
The Bimini SuperFast cruise ship has launched Night Party Cruises between the Port of Miami's Terminal F and the Bahamas from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. every Thursday through Sunday. Tickets, starting at $49 per person, include dinner and breakfast. Gambling and boozing are extra, of course as are port charges and taxes. On Saturday, Aug. 17, the one and only (though we still think he's cloned) DJ Irie will spin the ship into, well, we hope not too much of a frenzy. Among the DJs expected to spin from their perch atop the ship's so called Party Deck at Club Bimini on future sailings: Outasight, DJ Vertigo and DJ Sinatra. For more information, go to www.rwbimini.com.
Little people making big statements, Mini Kiss bills itself as the 'hottest little band in the world" and will kick off the regular sized Kiss concert at Hard Rock Live with a free concert at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, August 18. The show, at the Center Fountain at Seminole Paradise (1 Seminole Way, Hollywood) is free and open to the public. Not just any cover band, this one has the endorsement of Gene Simmons, having appeared on his A&E reality show Gene Simmons Family Jewels.
- Rok Brgr Block Party, Beverly Hills Cafe 2.0, Pisco Hour, Dive-In Movies
- Karaoke @ the Delano, Big Easy at Tongue & Cheek, Sweat Records a go go, SPF at Nikki Beach & Pink Floyd in Wynwood
- Sunset Swim, Bacchanal at Bagatelle, see J Alvarez for free, beer & clay at the Wolfsonian & free Wapo Tacos!
- Freedom's just another word for an excuse to booze, plus a dinner and drag show!
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open
- Jazid celebrates 19 years, get literary with Judy Blume, Hyde Beach blacks out, PARK at LILT
- Bodega, Brandt's Break, Baboons and Audrina Patridge bring on the scene
- An art heist, karaoke night, night swimming, Space Jamming & World Red Eye's big 05
- Summer in the city: DBGB, boozy fundraisers and bikini contests