Local SUSHISAMBA chef wins Food Network's Chopped
SUSHISAMBA Miami Beach Sous Chef Cara Thompson is $10,000 richer, thanks to winning Food Network’s nail-biting cooking competition Chopped. The Tuesday night episode was called “Redemption Intention” because all contestants had competed before and lost. The mystery basket of ingredients were more workable this time around. At least for her. Thompson’s dishes: Kuromitsu Chicken, made with enoki mushroom, pickled sea cucumber and soy paper; Pork Terrine (Peruvian corn, sriracha gel, smoked pineapple sea salt, chicharones); and Mamaye Sorbet (peanut crumble, anise catupiry crema, sugared squash blossoms). "Chopped brings an element to cooking that cannot be replicated in the kitchen of a restaurant," she said. "The adrenaline rush is unlike anything else I have experienced - you must think quickly and creatively, producing a memorable dish with ingredients you may or may not have previously worked with. What truly makes it an amazing experience, however, is the people you get to work with. I would compete every year if I could."
On Our Radar
- Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
- Old Spice Guy Isaiah Mustafa spreads the love
- Will Smith seen relaxing at Zuma
- Local designer wins Lifetime's 'Under the Gunn'
- 'House of Cards' star Kevin Spacey dines out
- Austin Mahone celebrates 18th birthday
- Miracle Myles: Myles Chefetz's South of Fifth takeover continues with Prime Private
- Fashion designer Ariana Rockefeller at Alene Too
- Rafael Nadal spends time in presidential suite
- Mayim Bialik is a geek and plays one on TV