Local designer RK New York seen on celebrities
Maria Menounos is a fan
Rachel Appel is the woman behind celeb favorite RK New York.
Though you wouldn't know it by the name of her company, she is a part time resident of Miami Beach with a pad in NYC. The New Jersey native tells us that for her fall line of bags she is sticking to neutral colors. Though she is "always going strong with black," she decided to include a taupe and a stone grey into the mix.
"We chose to use more muted embellishments, in shiny gunmetal and matte black finishes. Giving the line what I think is a more refined look, while keeping true to the line's aesthetic," says Appel. "We are still incorporating skins.... snake, alligator etc.... which can be see in our new Convertible clutch as well as the the soon to be launched Mini Hobo. The Fall line also includes an amazing new clutch with a snake embossment down the center. This is sure to be a top seller."
Maria Menounos fans may recall the TV personality wore the RK New York Spiked Finger Clutch to the premiere of "The Book of Mormon" a few months back.
RK has also added more smaller accessories to the line to include a double wrapping snake skin bracelet and rings made from python, available in red, black, grey/blue and more.
As for her inspirations?
"I am very eclectic in my taste and am inspired by conflicting items. I like hard and soft things. I see something very feminine and I will think how can I give that an edge while keeping it soft." Exotic skins are another love. "I find them beautiful, sexy, maybe a little dangerous, I could fine a beautiful or unusual skin and think 'OMG'!!! what can I make to incorporate this skin?"
Catch the stuff sold locally at: Big Drop, Jessie, Ritz Carlton South Beach, Rebel, Funky Sexy Couture, Stash, Twisted Sisters.
She is giving Miami.com and Miami Herald readers 20 percent off her site, www.rknewyork.com, with the promo code MHtwenty
On Our Radar
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision
- 5 things to know about 2 Chainz