Local designer RK New York seen on celebrities
Maria Menounos is a fan
Rachel Appel is the woman behind celeb favorite RK New York.
Though you wouldn't know it by the name of her company, she is a part time resident of Miami Beach with a pad in NYC. The New Jersey native tells us that for her fall line of bags she is sticking to neutral colors. Though she is "always going strong with black," she decided to include a taupe and a stone grey into the mix.
"We chose to use more muted embellishments, in shiny gunmetal and matte black finishes. Giving the line what I think is a more refined look, while keeping true to the line's aesthetic," says Appel. "We are still incorporating skins.... snake, alligator etc.... which can be see in our new Convertible clutch as well as the the soon to be launched Mini Hobo. The Fall line also includes an amazing new clutch with a snake embossment down the center. This is sure to be a top seller."
Maria Menounos fans may recall the TV personality wore the RK New York Spiked Finger Clutch to the premiere of "The Book of Mormon" a few months back.
RK has also added more smaller accessories to the line to include a double wrapping snake skin bracelet and rings made from python, available in red, black, grey/blue and more.
As for her inspirations?
"I am very eclectic in my taste and am inspired by conflicting items. I like hard and soft things. I see something very feminine and I will think how can I give that an edge while keeping it soft." Exotic skins are another love. "I find them beautiful, sexy, maybe a little dangerous, I could fine a beautiful or unusual skin and think 'OMG'!!! what can I make to incorporate this skin?"
Catch the stuff sold locally at: Big Drop, Jessie, Ritz Carlton South Beach, Rebel, Funky Sexy Couture, Stash, Twisted Sisters.
She is giving Miami.com and Miami Herald readers 20 percent off her site, www.rknewyork.com, with the promo code MHtwenty
On Our Radar
- Jose Fernandez fans get a chance to say goodbye today
- Miami mourns the loss of Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez
- Shane Battier and his annual Battioke brings out NBA stars
- Barbara Streisand coming to Miami area before the holidays
- Moet bottle made just for Miami champagne lovers
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her new boyfriend in Miami
- Kim Kardashian's midnight tanning session in Miami
- 'Selma' star David Oyelowo in Miami
- Donald Trump and Kanye West to Cause Traffic Kerfuffle in Miami
- Vogue with Madonna at Art Basel