Local cake makers get reality show, 'Divas del Azucar'
Mother daughter duo
Local bakers to the stars Divine Delicacies are getting their just desserts: a reality show. Las Divas de Azucar (Sugar Divas) premieres 9 p.m. Tuesday on MTV Tr3s.
The longtime custom cake makers have already catered to the likes of entertainers Pitbull, Rihanna and Flo Rida and athletes, from boxer Floyd Merriweather to the entire Miami Heat team. All in a fun, occasionally stressful day’s work. “Our show is about the challenges we face and the often crazy deadlines,” says Divine Delicacies co-owner Laura Candeau who runs the business with mom Iliana Lombardero.
“Sometimes clients call wanting their cake the very same day and we have to move quickly and call in everybody to work.” Another challenge for the divas: Keeping the weight down with so much buttercream frosting and fondant around. “I'm always on a diet,” laughs Laura.
Believe it: The majority of discerning celebrities who call in for their decked-out cakes have been “super nice.” “Really, we're there for them during the most special moments of their lives -- birthdays, anniversaries, celebrations -- so it's all happy moments,” says Iliana. Most recently the mother and daughter whipped up a gorgeous, pink, five-tiered confection for Sarah Jessica Parker during the actress’ appearance to promote her SJP line at Nordstrom Aventura last week. Each level featured a high-heel shoe, paying homage to the former Sex and the City fashionista turned designer.
Life is sweet for the mother-daughter team but they still miss dad, Jorge Rodriguez, who founded the company in Havana in 1985 and died in 2004. “[Divine Delicacies] was his dream," says Laura. “We want to make sure his dream is still being fulfilled. I think he would be proud.”
On Our Radar
- A look at Pitbull's style evolution
- The 5 most affordable ways to get around South Beach
- Draya Michele debuts Mint Swim collection in Miami, shows off curves at the beach
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud