Lip Sync, MMA and drama-free Art Basel
Party Milli Vanilli-style, watch a beat down, sip on spicy cocktails or find artsy types with zero pretense this week.
Giving You Lip Sync
A new 9 p.m. Monday night party at Ricochet is throwing things back to South Beach circa 1993, a time before people had their heads in their phones and if they had a phone it was the Motorola StarTac. Lip Service Mondays as it's called is hosted by Tiffany Fantasia and Fablis Frank and will feature lip sync karaoke, which is a fancy way of saying Milli Vanilli.
You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party
Fighting your way into a Miami hot spot is nothing unusual, but how about said Miami hot spot hosting 15 amateur Premier Fight League bouts? That’s right, from 6 p.m. to midnight on Friday, Nov. 30, Grand Central is all about the fight. The PFL, for the uninitiated, is an amateur Mixed Martial Arts organization that helps, exposes and introduces unknown heavy hitters to the exploding world of MMA. For ticket information, call 305-394-9696. For more information on how to channel your inner Kimbo Slice, go to premierfightleague.com.
Rice, Rice Baby
Taking place at the Soho Beach House on November 30, Miami's first ever LUCKYRICE Festival Night Market will feature a motley mix of chefs including Top Chef Masters’ Susur Lee, Todd English, Norman van Aiken and Douglas Rodriguez as well as chefs and mixologists from Hakkasan, Sushi Samba, The Broken Shaker, Nobu, The Setai and Makoto, among others. There will be food, there will also be drink in the form of "exotic, Asian-inspired cocktails featuring the new Bombay Sapphire East gin." Tickets are $150 for general admission, $250 for VIP access (from 7:30 p.m. to 830 p.m.) and are available at www.luckyrice.com.
Bring On the Basel
Art Basel is always a fun time to watch poseurs pose even more, pretending they care about art when all they care about are the free drinks and scraping elbows with rich folk and celebrities who have less interest in them then they do in art. To counter all the faux, check out Miami’s Independent Thinkers 4th Edition Art Basel Satellite Fair, which kicks off from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6 with an invite only event, but opens to the public at 5 p.m. Friday. Taking place at Wynwood’s Armory Studios, 572 NW 23rd St., the fair will feature art, music and live performances by local artists. Like, real ones, not those of the aforementioned BS-kind. Tickets are just $10.
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore
- Santana at Trump, Purim, a Wall Brawl in Wynwood and the Shelley Novak Awards!
- FDR & Electric Pickle Anniversary Bashes, Battioke, Rolling Loud & Fools' Paradise at Churchill's