Lil Wayne celebrates launch of footwear company
At Miami venue
Lil Wayne in da house! The rapper kicked off the launch of his new footwear company, Spectre by Supra, in Miami Friday night. Who needs Pepsi endorsements anyway?
The private venue was packed with friends, fans and admirers there to celebrate the artist’s latest footwear venture.
Attendees included Bun B, Stevie J, Don Cannon, Mack Maine, skaters Chaz Ortiz, Stevie Williams and Chad Muska, French rappers Booba and Gato.
Tattoo artist BJ Betts gave guests complimentary tattoos.
Wayne will oversee the design of the shoes by the skateboarding brand.
Pepis announced it was cutting its ties with Lil Wayne after the rapper made a crude reference to civil rights martyr Emmett Till in a song. The music star had a deal to promote the company's Mountain Dew soda.
PepsiCo said in a statement late Friday that Wayne's "offensive reference to a revered civil rights icon does not reflect the values of our brand." It declined to provide any further comment on any current promotions it might have in the market with Wayne.
A publicist for Lil Wayne, Sarah Cunningham, said that the split was due to "creative differences" and that it was an amicable parting.
Earlier this month, local rapper Rick Ross also lost his deal with Reebok after he rapped about raping a woman who had been drugged.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
On Our Radar
- Kesley Grammer and wife spotted in Miami Beach
- Enrique Iglesias faces misdemeanor charges
- Jason Derulo talks new album, influences
- It's decision time for Dwyane Wade
- Launch party for Moscai hosted at The W
- Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo spotted at W Hotel
- Magic Mike XXL stars at Miami Walk of Fame ceremony
- Irie Weekend a success
- Report: Prince Royce needs to pay up
- Real Housewives couple sue