LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat celebrate NBA championship at Story nightclub on South Beach
Team repeats its party efforts from a year ago
Upon accepting the NBA championship trophy, Miami Heat owner Micky Arison said, "Miami, show the world you know how to party!"
His team took those words to heart early Friday morning, after the Heat had defeated the San Antonio Spurs in Game 7 to clinch the NBA Finals.
LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and the 2-time champion Miami Heat headed to South Beach to celebrate their NBA title early Friday morning, but they didn't go to the popular nightclub everyone expected.
Instead they thrilled the crowd at Story nightclub, the sister club of the popular LIV nightclub at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach, with James and Wade arriving at close to 3 a.m. Teammates like Mario Chalmers, Ray Allen, Norris Cole, Chris Bosh, Juwan Howard and others were in attendance, as well as coach Erik Spoelstra, team president Pat Riley and Arison. Everyone was drinking Dom Perignon Luminous label ($1,000 each), as 115 bottles were paraded through the club to the Heat's area. Local late-night restaurant Big Pink delivered pizza in the club for the hungry players, and nearby celeb steakhouse Prime 112 made a special food delivery to James in VIP.
Rapper Drake hung out with the champs, and even Spurs guard Danny Green made an appearance.
Last year when the celebration was held at LIV, the doors had to be closed since the club was at capacity. Friday night that wasn't necessary as Story has close to double times the capacity of LIV (1,000 vs 2,200). No reports yet if the Heat surpassed their bar bill of $200,000 last year.
And just like last year, DJ Irie, the Heat's official DJ, was celebrating his birthday and took over the decks since he was already scheduled to play.
Meanwhile, Shane Battier, the unexpected hero of Thursday night's Game 7, celebrated at Foxhole bar in Miami Beach at 3:30 a.m. before capping his night at Denny's at 7:30 a.m.
The final sign the party was over, for now - Wade tweeting a photo of the sunrise at 6:17 a.m. with the words "We ain't got no worries… 2013 champs!"
Below, check out fan reaction and photos from last night's party scene.
- 13 things you can't miss this President's Day Weekend - Feb. 12-14
- Free Whiskey, rooftop revelry & parties for those who love and couldn't care less about the Super Bowl
- Things to do this weekend in Miami - Jan. 29-31
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Miami Latin Nightclubs
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 22-24
- Life in Color returns to Miami with Jack U, Zeds Dead, Steve Aoki and more
- Go Drink This: Proper Rum and Coke
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood