Laura Izibor gets real
The Irish singer is a rising star - she'll play MIA Thursday night
10 p.m., MIA Lounge, 20 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
Laura Izibor, a Grey Goose Rising Icon and hip hop/R&B artist) is in Miami Thursday for a private performance at the Bacardi Building, and a show at MIA lounge later in the evening.
Affectionately known as "The Soul of Ireland," she has opened for acts such as James Brown, The Roots, Angie Stone and John Legend. In 2007, she released Live from Crawdaddy EP, and her single Shine was used on the soundtrack for The Nanny Diaries. Two years later Izibor released her solo debut LP Let the Truth Be Told with her smash hit single From My Heart to Yours.
We chatted with the Irish singer, songwriter and producer:
What is your creative process like?
Songwriting has always been about the vibe with me. As soon as that feeling comes on me I go straight to the piano and start messing around with some chords. The melody follows and lastly I put down the lyrics..
Do you get nervous before a show?
I do -- in a manageable way. I love it though. It means I'm gonna bring it. If I'm too chill I shouldn't be on the stage. I should be in the crowd watching!
Who is on your iPod right now?
I love Nina Simone - she was so original and didn't care what anyone thought of her. I also love Al Green and Prince.
I'd love to work with Gnarls Barkley or U2.
Best advice you were ever given?
My mom always said be yourself. In this industry, especially being a woman, it's the one thing I've got to hold on to.
Do you like coming down here?
I love how cultured Miami is. Between the beaches, the weather and carefree energy it's always a place I love.
What is something no one knows about you?
I secretly would love to be a photographer.
Do you get back home often?
I go back to Dublin about every six weeks. I got a really big fam. So I can't go very long without seeing them.
On Our Radar
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.
- Recap: Miami.com Experience - Pop-Up Dinner at Bocce with Sugarcane
- Tiger Woods' ex holds dinner in Palm Beach
- Jamaican pop star OMI at club opening
- Miami's (wannabe) adopted son David Beckham is 'Sexiest Man'
- Influence Miami at Bakehouse Art Complex