Laugh with Jon Lovitz, dine like a Southerner and have a night at the Coral Gables Museum
Laugh with Jon Lovitz, dine like a Southerner and have a night at the Coral Gables Museum this week in Miami.
What's So Funny?
Jon Lovitz has already well-established that he's funny, but have you? At 9 p.m. Friday, May 3 at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave., the Emmy-nominated comedian will be the headliner at the Ultimate Miami Comedian competition where aspiring comics compete for the title and cash prize of $5,000. Tickets are $40 and include a drink, appetizers for the first hour and parking. If you can't make the Lovitz show, consider 9 p.m. Saturday, May 4 when Rob Schneider performs at the casino's Ultimate Miami Dessert competition which is just like the comedian one but with baked goods. There's definitely a joke in that. For more information go to www.theultimatemiami.com.
Although Miami isn't exactly "The South," Swine Southern Table & Bar, along with its South Beach sibling Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, Blue Collar, Tuyo, The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions, and Florida Cookery are hosting The Southern Food & Beverage Museum from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 8 at Swine (2415 Ponce de Leon Blvd.). The SFBM is a New Orleans-based non-profit organization celebrating "food, drink and related culture of the South," and through the $75 per person ticket will raise money for its special Florida exhibit space. RSVP to Events@RunPigRun.com.
Night at the Museum
Museums at night are fun in so many ways--especially when the exhibits seem to come alive thanks to the museum's very own full bar like the one at the Coral Gables Museum, 285 Aragon Ave., where, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, May 3 it's Gallery Night Live. Among the festivities: the opening night of UM School of Architecture professor since 1966, architect/artist Tom Spain's 30 year retrospective, free Polaroids of you and your entourage throughout the museum, art installations, happy hour prices at the bar and free admission to exhibits including Italy in Motion featuring vintage Ferrari, Vespas and Minis.
Another Miami hot spot is getting on the playoffs bandwagon, this time Eating House (804 Ponce de Leon Blvd.), which is throwing viewing parties during all Miami Heat playoff games. In addition to two TVs and a projection screen showing the games, the kitchen will be throwing specials including Carbonara-loaded fries with bacon, black truffle and Parmigiano; Bell & Evans chicken wings with pickled carrots and buttermilk ranch; Vaca Frita buns with guava-hoisin, cucumber and scallion; and bagel bites with sausage, peppers, fontina cheese and onion. All wine and beer are 25% off regular price, too.
- Amidst bleak world news, Miami gets happy: 4 spirit-boosting cocktail hours
- 5 events for Miami bon vivants
- 5 events in Miami for connoisseurs of scotch, cigars, meat and bikinis
- 4 fab Miami happenings plus one swanky dinner in Fort Lauderdale
- 4 parties in Miami to put on your social agenda - July 1-4
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays