Laugh with Jon Lovitz, dine like a Southerner and have a night at the Coral Gables Museum
Laugh with Jon Lovitz, dine like a Southerner and have a night at the Coral Gables Museum this week in Miami.
What's So Funny?
Jon Lovitz has already well-established that he's funny, but have you? At 9 p.m. Friday, May 3 at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave., the Emmy-nominated comedian will be the headliner at the Ultimate Miami Comedian competition where aspiring comics compete for the title and cash prize of $5,000. Tickets are $40 and include a drink, appetizers for the first hour and parking. If you can't make the Lovitz show, consider 9 p.m. Saturday, May 4 when Rob Schneider performs at the casino's Ultimate Miami Dessert competition which is just like the comedian one but with baked goods. There's definitely a joke in that. For more information go to www.theultimatemiami.com.
Although Miami isn't exactly "The South," Swine Southern Table & Bar, along with its South Beach sibling Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, Blue Collar, Tuyo, The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions, and Florida Cookery are hosting The Southern Food & Beverage Museum from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 8 at Swine (2415 Ponce de Leon Blvd.). The SFBM is a New Orleans-based non-profit organization celebrating "food, drink and related culture of the South," and through the $75 per person ticket will raise money for its special Florida exhibit space. RSVP to Events@RunPigRun.com.
Night at the Museum
Museums at night are fun in so many ways--especially when the exhibits seem to come alive thanks to the museum's very own full bar like the one at the Coral Gables Museum, 285 Aragon Ave., where, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, May 3 it's Gallery Night Live. Among the festivities: the opening night of UM School of Architecture professor since 1966, architect/artist Tom Spain's 30 year retrospective, free Polaroids of you and your entourage throughout the museum, art installations, happy hour prices at the bar and free admission to exhibits including Italy in Motion featuring vintage Ferrari, Vespas and Minis.
Another Miami hot spot is getting on the playoffs bandwagon, this time Eating House (804 Ponce de Leon Blvd.), which is throwing viewing parties during all Miami Heat playoff games. In addition to two TVs and a projection screen showing the games, the kitchen will be throwing specials including Carbonara-loaded fries with bacon, black truffle and Parmigiano; Bell & Evans chicken wings with pickled carrots and buttermilk ranch; Vaca Frita buns with guava-hoisin, cucumber and scallion; and bagel bites with sausage, peppers, fontina cheese and onion. All wine and beer are 25% off regular price, too.
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
- Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island