Larios on the Beach unveiling new look, menu in Miami Beach
Gloria and Emilio Estefan give their Ocean Drive standby a makeover.
Gloria and Emilio Estefan opened Larios on the Beach back in 1992, when Ocean Drive was swarming with models, fashion types and pretty much people who didn't eat.
Fast forward to 2014, and it's a whole new Ocean Drive, a Vegas South of sorts, where bigger is better and if you don't believe us, just check out those mongo mojitos the tourists are all drinking.
That being said, people in Miami eat now, and not all visitors or locals look like they stepped off of the set of Honey Boo Boo. Changing with the times for the better, the Estefans have revamped Larios, giving it a new look and a new menu, which will be revealed to the public on Friday, when it reopens to the public after a month's closure.
As for the menu, the Estefans have collaborated with executive chef Odell Torres to create a new menu featuring, among other things: sweet and salty bacon-wrapped maduros; black bean hummus; chicken vaca frita; and tropical ceviche.
The restaurant's signature dishes, including the lechón, house made pork tamales and classic arroz con pollo will remain on the menu, but new to it entirely is The Triple C, "Calorie Conscious Cuban," a selection of guilt-free Cuban dishes created by Gloria including marinated and grilled fresh grouper, baked plantain chips and vegetarian black beans.
"Experience our tried and true Cuban Cuisine, tastes like it’s right out of abuelita’s kitchen, and induge your taste buds with our new surprising culinary sensations,” said Gloria Estefan.
And while Gloria has reimagined the menu, hubby Emilio tweaked with the design of the place, wanting to "bring Miami Beach inside the restaurant, for guests to feel enveloped by the ocean," says a press release. Also new is an open dining design featuring outdoor cafe, espresso bar and lounge.
“We are proud to have a part in the success of Miami Beach’s Ocean Drive, one of the most famous streets in the world. For over 22 years, Larios on the Beach has been a destination spot for the local commuity and tourists from all over the world,” Emilio said.
Larios on the Beach
820 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach
- Extra Ordinary: Vandy Vanderwarker of Charleston's The Ordinary shucking up at Mignonette in May
- Blue Collar restaurant hosting 2016 Matzo Chase - a scavenger hunt in Miami
- Richard Hales opening Bird & Bone Hot Chicken & Ribs at The Wynwood Yard
- Now Closed: The Oceanaire Seafood Room. Coming Soon to Mary Brickell Village: "Another Landry's concept"
- Norwegian DJ Kygo's just desserts at Komodo
- Top Chef Paul Qui of Faena Hotel's heralded Pao arrested for alleged drug-fueled assault on girlfriend
- Bachour Bakery + Bistro opening March 25 on Brickell
- High end Kaori by Walter Martino opening in Brickell area February 23
- Juvia's Japanese sibling Sushi Garage opens in Miami's Sunset Harbor 'hood
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"