Laid-back Miami gourmet market opens with flavor
Flavorish Market is now open in Miami's Upper East Side.
7283 Biscayne Blvd., Miami (Belle Meade Plaza)
Hours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
Prices: Muffins, $2.50, sandwiches $8, bread $7, quiche $5 a slice, market items $3-$21
A few years ago it would be hard to imagine a laid-back shop with high-quality food products on Miami’s Upper East Side, but times are a-changin’.
Flavorish Market recently opened in the 7200 block of Biscayne Boulevard, its shelves stocked with raw Italian chestnut honey, Portuguese sardines, Spanish chorizo, and locally made granola, pastas and sauces. Zak the Baker supplies bread and sandwiches, and Flavorish sells New and Old World wines as well as craft beers.
Owners Alain Guillen and Jennifer Frehling, who live in Miami Shores (Jennifer also runs Wynwood lifestyle boutique FrangiPani), focus on small-batch producers that they source from their travels. Ken Lyon, former chef-owner of Fratelli Lyon in the Design District, makes prepared foods for Flavorish from minestrone soup and niçoise salad to meatloaf and lamb kebabs.
In a rush, grab a hummus sandwich with sprouts on sesame sourdough from a basket at the counter. If you have some time, say on Friday nights from 6 to 8 p.m., stay for free wine tastings led by sommelier Jenna Robinson, who pairs her pours with cheeses like Purple Haze goat with lavender and fennel pollen.
Flavorish also hosts a local farmers market on Wednesdays from 1 to 8 p.m. Check out the produce, have a bite to eat, sip a cool glass of Protea chenin blanc, and settle in to your new hangout.
Linda Bladholm is a Miami-based food writer.
- Get fresh pastas and other tastes of Italy at Limoncello Restaurant in Aventura
- 41st Street Deli makes gourmet kosher sandwiches in Miami Beach
- Fornaro cooks Italian food by way of Brazil in Coconut Grove
- Stone crabs with a side of sunset at Monty's in South Beach
- Moreno’s Café captures the spirit of Cuba in Miami Beach
- Ni.Do Caffe in Miami Shores celebrates eating the Italian way
- The hottest Thai food in Miami is on Calle Ocho
- Vegan cuisine is in Full Bloom in Miami Beach
- Jet Runway Café takes off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go all natural at Organic Bites in Miami