Laid-back Miami gourmet market opens with flavor
Flavorish Market is now open in Miami's Upper East Side.
7283 Biscayne Blvd., Miami (Belle Meade Plaza)
Hours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
Prices: Muffins, $2.50, sandwiches $8, bread $7, quiche $5 a slice, market items $3-$21
A few years ago it would be hard to imagine a laid-back shop with high-quality food products on Miami’s Upper East Side, but times are a-changin’.
Flavorish Market recently opened in the 7200 block of Biscayne Boulevard, its shelves stocked with raw Italian chestnut honey, Portuguese sardines, Spanish chorizo, and locally made granola, pastas and sauces. Zak the Baker supplies bread and sandwiches, and Flavorish sells New and Old World wines as well as craft beers.
Owners Alain Guillen and Jennifer Frehling, who live in Miami Shores (Jennifer also runs Wynwood lifestyle boutique FrangiPani), focus on small-batch producers that they source from their travels. Ken Lyon, former chef-owner of Fratelli Lyon in the Design District, makes prepared foods for Flavorish from minestrone soup and niçoise salad to meatloaf and lamb kebabs.
In a rush, grab a hummus sandwich with sprouts on sesame sourdough from a basket at the counter. If you have some time, say on Friday nights from 6 to 8 p.m., stay for free wine tastings led by sommelier Jenna Robinson, who pairs her pours with cheeses like Purple Haze goat with lavender and fennel pollen.
Flavorish also hosts a local farmers market on Wednesdays from 1 to 8 p.m. Check out the produce, have a bite to eat, sip a cool glass of Protea chenin blanc, and settle in to your new hangout.
Linda Bladholm is a Miami-based food writer.
- Italian-food traditions radiate from Luna Capresse in North Miami
- Lyon Freres food market is reborn in Miami Beach
- Little Bread serves Cuban sandwiches with a twist in Little Havana
- Freddo scoops out Argentine treats
- Italian ices and wine cocktails flow at Veni Vidi Vici Social Club in Miami
- Hoffman's Chocolates engineers sweet treats for the holidays
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good
- Via Emilia 9 leads food path to Italy from Miami Beach
- Comfort-food goodness oozes from the Daily Melt in Miami
- Indian caterer Tasty Kerala cooks feasts from Fort Lauderdale kitchen