Oolite Restaurant & Bar, 'a healthy dining concept,' debuts May 30 in Miami Beach
Chef Kris Wessel to feature simplified, healthy dining in old Cooper Avenue space.
Good news for those lamenting the absence of ex Red Light and Florida Cookery chef Kris Wessel, who officially announces the debut of Oolite Restaurant & Bar, a "healthy dining concept" scheduled to open May 30 at the ex-Cooper Avenue space at 1661 Pennsylvania Ave. in Miami Beach.
Wessel, who has partnered with Roman Cherstvov, the former partner of Cooper Ave's Amir Ben-Zion, will feature a menu that "captures the essence of simplified eating with plant, land and sea-based protein offerings." Wessel fans will rejoice in the fact that these offerings will be rooted in "the regional palate and local culture of the area as well as adhere to limited use of processed ingredients, gluten and saturated fats."
And for those foodistas who freak when they hear the word healthy, fret not. Wessel, whose signature dishes have included BBQ shrimp, gumbo and rabbit crepes that he cooked for the win on Chopped, isn't on some crazy gluten free kick; he's just going in the direction in which he feels food is evolving. "It is the natural progression of where food is going," Wessel says. "You see fine dining taking a nod to this at even the very highest level. With Oolite, we are bringing this concept to a 'local favorite' restaurant level."
As for the name? It pays homage to the limestone and coral rock foundation at the southern tip of our fine state. Later in the year, Wessel and Cherstvov will launch a lounge concept in the same space.
1661 Pennsylvania Ave., Miami Beach
- Extra Ordinary: Vandy Vanderwarker of Charleston's The Ordinary shucking up at Mignonette in May
- Blue Collar restaurant hosting 2016 Matzo Chase - a scavenger hunt in Miami
- Richard Hales opening Bird & Bone Hot Chicken & Ribs at The Wynwood Yard
- Now Closed: The Oceanaire Seafood Room. Coming Soon to Mary Brickell Village: "Another Landry's concept"
- Norwegian DJ Kygo's just desserts at Komodo
- Top Chef Paul Qui of Faena Hotel's heralded Pao arrested for alleged drug-fueled assault on girlfriend
- Bachour Bakery + Bistro opening March 25 on Brickell
- High end Kaori by Walter Martino opening in Brickell area February 23
- Juvia's Japanese sibling Sushi Garage opens in Miami's Sunset Harbor 'hood
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"