Karaoke @ Titanic Brewery
Backward caps, fraternity letters, board shorts and sandals: all attire you'll probably see at the Titanic Brewery. Even though plenty of University of Miami students perch at the bar, there's also a good crowd from the real world. The brewery's machinery glistens through glass walls. The mixologists pour pints of Nut Brown Ale, Captain Smith's Rye, Whitestar India Pale Ale and more. Snacks like empanadas, beer-battered shrimp, chicken egg rolls and barbecued pulled pork sandwiches are also available.
Student Alejandro Eguren Muúoz, 23, passionately sings Vicente Fernandez's El Rey. He says singing in front of a crowd of strangers is simple if you let go of any pressure. "If you leave your shame at home, nobody cares,'' he says, as a guy in a Def Leopard T-shirt sings Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." The DJ holds up a candle for dramatic effect.
And then, a familiar imitation of Billy Corgan blares through the speakers: "The world is a vampire, sent to drain.'' The Pozzesseres have arrived! Before long, a crowd is engrossed in Shayne Pozzessere's ever-improving Smashing Pumpkins cover.
And a dream is realized.
Titanic Brewery; 5813 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 305-668-1742; 9 p.m. Sunday.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Heineken House makes EDM experience full circle at Ultra
- Go Drink This: In the Air Tonight
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Above & Beyond play one-night only during Miami Music Week
- DJ “Little” Louie Vega plays the Funkified Poolside Get-Down Jam on Wednesday
- Spanish DJ Duo Chus and Ceballos play Ultra on Saturday
- Hardwell enjoying life atop the DJ world
- Things To Do In Miami This Weekend - March 27-29
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Quiz: How well do you know Miami Beach Nightlife?