Karaoke @ Titanic Brewery
Backward caps, fraternity letters, board shorts and sandals: all attire you'll probably see at the Titanic Brewery. Even though plenty of University of Miami students perch at the bar, there's also a good crowd from the real world. The brewery's machinery glistens through glass walls. The mixologists pour pints of Nut Brown Ale, Captain Smith's Rye, Whitestar India Pale Ale and more. Snacks like empanadas, beer-battered shrimp, chicken egg rolls and barbecued pulled pork sandwiches are also available.
Student Alejandro Eguren Muúoz, 23, passionately sings Vicente Fernandez's El Rey. He says singing in front of a crowd of strangers is simple if you let go of any pressure. "If you leave your shame at home, nobody cares,'' he says, as a guy in a Def Leopard T-shirt sings Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." The DJ holds up a candle for dramatic effect.
And then, a familiar imitation of Billy Corgan blares through the speakers: "The world is a vampire, sent to drain.'' The Pozzesseres have arrived! Before long, a crowd is engrossed in Shayne Pozzessere's ever-improving Smashing Pumpkins cover.
And a dream is realized.
Titanic Brewery; 5813 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 305-668-1742; 9 p.m. Sunday.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Beer, pigskin, skin, more pigskin, music, more beer & Super Bowl!
- 5 reasons why we’re excited about the new Vagabond Restaurant & Bar
- Minibar app brings wine, spirits, and beer to your door
- Go Drink This: The Pineapple
- Repour craft cocktail bar to open in South Beach's Albion Hotel
- Sunday symphony, saused Flamingos, philanthropic models and a new monthly Edition
- Go Drink This: Ceviche Sour
- Nude male models in Miami! Booze! Art, music and ping pong, too.
- Ultra Music Festival releases Phase 1 of its 2015 lineup
- Go Drink This: New England Sidecar