Karaoke @ Titanic Brewery
Backward caps, fraternity letters, board shorts and sandals: all attire you'll probably see at the Titanic Brewery. Even though plenty of University of Miami students perch at the bar, there's also a good crowd from the real world. The brewery's machinery glistens through glass walls. The mixologists pour pints of Nut Brown Ale, Captain Smith's Rye, Whitestar India Pale Ale and more. Snacks like empanadas, beer-battered shrimp, chicken egg rolls and barbecued pulled pork sandwiches are also available.
Student Alejandro Eguren Muúoz, 23, passionately sings Vicente Fernandez's El Rey. He says singing in front of a crowd of strangers is simple if you let go of any pressure. "If you leave your shame at home, nobody cares,'' he says, as a guy in a Def Leopard T-shirt sings Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." The DJ holds up a candle for dramatic effect.
And then, a familiar imitation of Billy Corgan blares through the speakers: "The world is a vampire, sent to drain.'' The Pozzesseres have arrived! Before long, a crowd is engrossed in Shayne Pozzessere's ever-improving Smashing Pumpkins cover.
And a dream is realized.
Titanic Brewery; 5813 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 305-668-1742; 9 p.m. Sunday.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Go Drink This: Greenhouse Smash
- Wynwood's Electric Pickle turns 6, throws weekend-long anniversary bash
- French house, condo cinema, food, drink and fests!
- Wynwood's new piano bar pops up at Cafeina on Thursday nights
- Go Drink This: Mixology for Two, an interactive session
- 'French Tuesdays' returns to South Beach nightlife
- Go Drink This: Cocktails for Two
- Basement Miami introduces weekly party for Hump Day enthusiasts and hip hop aficionados
- From Brooklyn to Wynwood: The Greatest Day Ever comes to Miami in May
- Go Drink This: I Rock Ruff & Stuff