Karaoke @ Titanic Brewery
Backward caps, fraternity letters, board shorts and sandals: all attire you'll probably see at the Titanic Brewery. Even though plenty of University of Miami students perch at the bar, there's also a good crowd from the real world. The brewery's machinery glistens through glass walls. The mixologists pour pints of Nut Brown Ale, Captain Smith's Rye, Whitestar India Pale Ale and more. Snacks like empanadas, beer-battered shrimp, chicken egg rolls and barbecued pulled pork sandwiches are also available.
Student Alejandro Eguren Muúoz, 23, passionately sings Vicente Fernandez's El Rey. He says singing in front of a crowd of strangers is simple if you let go of any pressure. "If you leave your shame at home, nobody cares,'' he says, as a guy in a Def Leopard T-shirt sings Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." The DJ holds up a candle for dramatic effect.
And then, a familiar imitation of Billy Corgan blares through the speakers: "The world is a vampire, sent to drain.'' The Pozzesseres have arrived! Before long, a crowd is engrossed in Shayne Pozzessere's ever-improving Smashing Pumpkins cover.
And a dream is realized.
Titanic Brewery; 5813 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 305-668-1742; 9 p.m. Sunday.
-- KYLE TEAL
- 11 things to do in Miami this weekend - Sept. 2-4
- 11 events in Miami to put on your weekend agenda - Aug. 26-28
- 11 can't-miss events in Miami this weekend - Aug. 19-21
- Miami's top 5 rooftop bars on Yelp
- 5 places to turn up on the cheap this weekend
- 13 events you can't miss in Miami this weekend - Aug. 12-14
- 11 events in Miami this weekend - Aug. 5-7
- Free Hatuey Style Cuban beer at this monthly series
- Discover the Miami.com Summer Wine List for 2016
- 11 events in Miami this weekend - July 29-31