Karaoke @ Sky Bar
There are a lot of rhinestones and potential models in this chic SoBe night spot, which calls its karaoke night "Beauty and the Beats.'' Beads hang along the walls, sexy red lights are ubiquitous and a couple makes out on the dance floor. A contender for largest mirror in South Florida rests above the rectangular bar counter. Quality flat screen TVs show the lyrics, which pump through crystal clear speakers, giving some rockers an acoustic advantage.
Patrons belong in magazine spreads and sometimes are: R&B artists Gnarles Barkley and Entourage star Jeremy Piven were hanging out recently.
Promoter Michael Madd says encouraging participants is all about creating a comfortable atmosphere, which sometimes involves passing around free shots for female customers. Vodka and champagne bottles are ordered all night. Intimate friends lean over bottle buckets and talk in each others' ears over the blaring '80s music. Lately, Madd says, the karaoke parties have been going as late as 3 or 3:30 a.m.
Sky Bar "Beauty and The Beats'' night at the Shore Club; 1901 Collins Ave., MiamiBeach; 305-695-3100û; 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. (sometimes later) the first Sunday of the month.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Go Drink This: Greenhouse Smash
- Wynwood's Electric Pickle turns 6, throws weekend-long anniversary bash
- French house, condo cinema, food, drink and fests!
- Wynwood's new piano bar pops up at Cafeina on Thursday nights
- Go Drink This: Mixology for Two, an interactive session
- 'French Tuesdays' returns to South Beach nightlife
- Go Drink This: Cocktails for Two
- Basement Miami introduces weekly party for Hump Day enthusiasts and hip hop aficionados
- From Brooklyn to Wynwood: The Greatest Day Ever comes to Miami in May
- Go Drink This: I Rock Ruff & Stuff