Karaoke @ Sky Bar
There are a lot of rhinestones and potential models in this chic SoBe night spot, which calls its karaoke night "Beauty and the Beats.'' Beads hang along the walls, sexy red lights are ubiquitous and a couple makes out on the dance floor. A contender for largest mirror in South Florida rests above the rectangular bar counter. Quality flat screen TVs show the lyrics, which pump through crystal clear speakers, giving some rockers an acoustic advantage.
Patrons belong in magazine spreads and sometimes are: R&B artists Gnarles Barkley and Entourage star Jeremy Piven were hanging out recently.
Promoter Michael Madd says encouraging participants is all about creating a comfortable atmosphere, which sometimes involves passing around free shots for female customers. Vodka and champagne bottles are ordered all night. Intimate friends lean over bottle buckets and talk in each others' ears over the blaring '80s music. Lately, Madd says, the karaoke parties have been going as late as 3 or 3:30 a.m.
Sky Bar "Beauty and The Beats'' night at the Shore Club; 1901 Collins Ave., MiamiBeach; 305-695-3100û; 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. (sometimes later) the first Sunday of the month.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- SushiSamba celebrates Brazil's Carnaval on Lincoln Road and in Coral Gables on Tuesday night with live samba dancing, batucada drummers, DJs and specialty cocktails
- Coming soon to Wynwood: a craft beer bar called KUSH
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 28 - March 2
- Beloved South Beach DJ Mark Leventhal dies at 50 after nearly one month in the hospital
- Miami native Blake Lee to appear in ABC's new sitcom ‘Mixology’
- Soulfrito Urban Latin Music Festival brings the top urban and Latin acts
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 21-23
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District