Karaoke @ Sky Bar
There are a lot of rhinestones and potential models in this chic SoBe night spot, which calls its karaoke night "Beauty and the Beats.'' Beads hang along the walls, sexy red lights are ubiquitous and a couple makes out on the dance floor. A contender for largest mirror in South Florida rests above the rectangular bar counter. Quality flat screen TVs show the lyrics, which pump through crystal clear speakers, giving some rockers an acoustic advantage.
Patrons belong in magazine spreads and sometimes are: R&B artists Gnarles Barkley and Entourage star Jeremy Piven were hanging out recently.
Promoter Michael Madd says encouraging participants is all about creating a comfortable atmosphere, which sometimes involves passing around free shots for female customers. Vodka and champagne bottles are ordered all night. Intimate friends lean over bottle buckets and talk in each others' ears over the blaring '80s music. Lately, Madd says, the karaoke parties have been going as late as 3 or 3:30 a.m.
Sky Bar "Beauty and The Beats'' night at the Shore Club; 1901 Collins Ave., MiamiBeach; 305-695-3100û; 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. (sometimes later) the first Sunday of the month.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Railroad Blues boasts weekend lineup of local musicians
- Club Rio offers DJs, bottle service with gaming
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - September 12 - 14
- Go Drink This: Sweet Tarts Cocktail
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- All-star team brings 'Sweet Liberty Drink and Supply Company' to South Beach in December
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - September 5 - 7
- Go Drink This: White Cosmo
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series