Karaoke @ Sky Bar
There are a lot of rhinestones and potential models in this chic SoBe night spot, which calls its karaoke night "Beauty and the Beats.'' Beads hang along the walls, sexy red lights are ubiquitous and a couple makes out on the dance floor. A contender for largest mirror in South Florida rests above the rectangular bar counter. Quality flat screen TVs show the lyrics, which pump through crystal clear speakers, giving some rockers an acoustic advantage.
Patrons belong in magazine spreads and sometimes are: R&B artists Gnarles Barkley and Entourage star Jeremy Piven were hanging out recently.
Promoter Michael Madd says encouraging participants is all about creating a comfortable atmosphere, which sometimes involves passing around free shots for female customers. Vodka and champagne bottles are ordered all night. Intimate friends lean over bottle buckets and talk in each others' ears over the blaring '80s music. Lately, Madd says, the karaoke parties have been going as late as 3 or 3:30 a.m.
Sky Bar "Beauty and The Beats'' night at the Shore Club; 1901 Collins Ave., MiamiBeach; 305-695-3100û; 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. (sometimes later) the first Sunday of the month.
-- KYLE TEAL
- Go Drink This: The Pineapple
- Repour craft cocktail bar to open in South Beach's Albion Hotel
- Sunday symphony, saused Flamingos, philanthropic models and a new monthly Edition
- Go Drink This: Ceviche Sour
- Nude male models in Miami! Booze! Art, music and ping pong, too.
- Ultra Music Festival releases Phase 1 of its 2015 lineup
- Go Drink This: New England Sidecar
- Flooring it with YoungArts, Cirque does charity and an art party
- Wunderbar at Circa 39 charms with global cocktails and flavors in Mid-Beach
- South Florida got doused in paint and EDM at Life in Color