A first look at pricey slabs of beef and decadent sides in SoBe
431 Washington Ave, Miami Beach
The goods: NYC restaurateur Mathew Glazier (Strip House) and nightlife impresarios Roman Jones and Justin Levine ( Mansion, SET, Louis) bring another sleek beef temple to the former Tuscan Steak space, where Kane Steakhouse joins South of Fifth neighbors Prime 112 and Red.
Ambience: Relatively subdued. Cream-colored leather banquettes line the northern wall, bucking the usual dark-wood steakhouse trend, and waiters are outfitted in dapper bowties and white-piped black jackets. A long mirrored bar with inlaid TV panels lines the spacious, date-friendly dining room, and a private room in the back seats 12 for intimate dinners.
The grub: Standard steakhouse cuisine with a few tweaks. Young chef Daniel Ganem (Bourbon Steak, BLT Steak) presides over the gluttonous menu, which tends towards the pricey: Starters average $15 and steaks and seafood mains are $37 to $84 (porterhouse for two).
Begin with a basket of fresh baguettes, bacon-studded biscuits and cranberry bread and a complimentary amuse bouche of tomato gazpacho. Follow that with the Caesar salad, modified with an herby basil dressing and tomato croutons. The crisp salt cod dumplings add a nice Spanish touch while the duck fat hash browns (pictured) keep things rich.
Seafood like a miso black cod and a yellowtail snapper are offered, but stick with beef options like the Wagyu dry-rubbed skirt steak. Generously portioned sides include a lobster mac and cheese, crispy fried seaweed dusted with sugar and sweet potato fries with a marshmallow dipping sauce.
The verdict: A stylish South of Fifth steakhouse with pricey slabs of beef and decadent sides.
- California’s Umami Burger makes its South Beach debut
- Barezzito brings live music & Latin-influenced sushi to South Beach
- A First Look at Jeffrey Chodorow's Biscayne Tavern
- Tudor House chef Jamie DeRosa opens Tongue & Cheek on Miami Beach
- Barock is an ambitious new Ocean Drive spot with a European pedigree
- Poseidon brings a taste of the Greek Isles to South Beach
- Get a First Look at Copperbox, Wynwood’s “secret gastronomic studio”
- Charles St brings upscale pub grub & late-night dining to South Beach's Boulan Hotel
- The 50 Eggs team opens Swine Southern Table and Bar in Coral Gables
- Devon Seafood + Steak brings classics to Kendall