A first look at pricey slabs of beef and decadent sides in SoBe
431 Washington Ave, Miami Beach
The goods: NYC restaurateur Mathew Glazier (Strip House) and nightlife impresarios Roman Jones and Justin Levine ( Mansion, SET, Louis) bring another sleek beef temple to the former Tuscan Steak space, where Kane Steakhouse joins South of Fifth neighbors Prime 112 and Red.
Ambience: Relatively subdued. Cream-colored leather banquettes line the northern wall, bucking the usual dark-wood steakhouse trend, and waiters are outfitted in dapper bowties and white-piped black jackets. A long mirrored bar with inlaid TV panels lines the spacious, date-friendly dining room, and a private room in the back seats 12 for intimate dinners.
The grub: Standard steakhouse cuisine with a few tweaks. Young chef Daniel Ganem (Bourbon Steak, BLT Steak) presides over the gluttonous menu, which tends towards the pricey: Starters average $15 and steaks and seafood mains are $37 to $84 (porterhouse for two).
Begin with a basket of fresh baguettes, bacon-studded biscuits and cranberry bread and a complimentary amuse bouche of tomato gazpacho. Follow that with the Caesar salad, modified with an herby basil dressing and tomato croutons. The crisp salt cod dumplings add a nice Spanish touch while the duck fat hash browns (pictured) keep things rich.
Seafood like a miso black cod and a yellowtail snapper are offered, but stick with beef options like the Wagyu dry-rubbed skirt steak. Generously portioned sides include a lobster mac and cheese, crispy fried seaweed dusted with sugar and sweet potato fries with a marshmallow dipping sauce.
The verdict: A stylish South of Fifth steakhouse with pricey slabs of beef and decadent sides.
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start
- Zuma's sibling Coya swaggers into Brickell
- Fooq's is dishing out a global bouquet of food in downtown Miami
- Bagatelle brings its rowdy French party to South Beach
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- Quality Meats gets things sizzling in South Beach
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach