Juicing in Miami
Take a shot of green juice at Dr. Etti Ben-Zion's Wellness Center — this kind won't leave you hungover.
Feeling bloated, cranky, lethargic? If you answered yes to any of these, give green juicing a try. In fact, swigging one’s veggies and fruits is taking Miami by storm. We chat up Doctor of Holistic Nutrition and “Juice Goddess” Dr. Etti Ben-Zion on putting the kibosh on sugar-loaded liquids and upping freshly made vegetable-and-fruit-based drinks and her new Wellness Center on Miami Beach.
How long have you been juicing? I have been juicing for 19 years now. I started after I had my first son and tried to lose some weight. I saw Jay Kordich giving a lecture about juicing and I never stopped juicing since then.
Explain what juicing for those not-in-the-know: Juicing is easy! It might seem like it’s intimidating at first, but once you learn how you'll see its very satisfying! You need a juicer enough fruits and vegetables for your juice. First decide what recipe you want to make. Prepare your fruits and veggies for juicing. Depending on the item, you might have to prepare the produce. For example, an apple needs to be cored for most juicers, and citrus would have to be peeled. It just depends on your juicer. Most importantly, any produce that is not peeled must be washed!! Turn on your juicer and start feeding your produce through the feeding tube. Pour your juice into a glass and drink! Some people like to dilute it with water, but I tend to like it full strength. Enjoy!
What are the benefits of juicing? 1) Juice has a very high nutritional and vitamin content. The juicer breaks up the cells of the produce, separating it from the fibrous pulp. Liquids go into our bloodstream and body systems instantaneously. Our bodies also absorb and assimilate food source vitamins very easily. Fresh juice nourishes our body with life-giving, vitamin rich, and easy to digest nutrition. Any type of store bought bottled juices can't compare to this.
2) Fresh juiced juice is not pasteurized. The FDA requires all drinks to be pasteurized nowadays, and that means it's heated — heated to a temperature where it kills mostly all of the nutritional value. Fresh juice is far superior mainly because of this fact.
3) Juicing is fun! You can be so creative with the juices you create. For those that enjoy cooking, its a great outlet. For those that don't, it's so quick and easy that it usually doesn’t bother them much.
4) Our cells need this concentrated nutrition. It’s a fact that most people don't eat like they should and don't get enough fruits and veggies in a day. But juicing fills that gap and makes it possible for those not eating a good diet to get much needed nutrition. Our bodies were made to be fed pure, raw food that contain these naturally occurring vitamins.
5) Juicing is cleansing. Because of its high vitamin and mineral content, our bodies are programmed to clean itself when it's fed the proper nutrients to do so. It's sort of like putting in the good and getting rid of the bad.
6) Juicing helps our bodies to maintain or get to a normal body weight. When we feed our body’s the nutrients it needs, it knows how to regulate itself perfectly. Juicing can take the place of snacks and meals, because there is so much nutrition inside a vegetable juice glass, that many people don't get cravings or feel the need to eat food as regularly.
7) Juicing keeps us young and improves our looks. Just look at anyone who has been juicing for years. Giving your body all of those antioxidants, vitamins, minerals in a concentrated cup daily fights away wrinkles, free radicals and makes your skin glow!
Dr. Etti Ben-Zion's Wellness Center
6550 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Summer Get-Fit Tips by Miami’s Celebrity Trainer
- Is this Miami's Ultimate Bikini Workout?
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the New 90-Minute Barry's Bootcamp Class
- 7 Ways to Eat Your Way To A Sexy Body
- 6 Feel-Good Facts About WTRMLN WTR
- 7 Tips for a Better Bikini Butt
- Meet Fitness Guru Tracy Anderson!
- Fresh Is Better Delivers Healthy, Handcrafted Meals
- The Fit Shop Opens in North Miami
- SoulCycle Now Open at 1 Hotel South Beach