John Walsh: still out for justice
John Walsh wants to go global. The longtime host of America's Most Wanted, 65, was at the National Association of Television Programming Executives this week to talk up the idea for a new show...
John Walsh wants to go global.
Sounds like an excellent plan. Walsh's Fox program -- on the air since 1988 -- has led to the arrest of more than 1,000 criminals, including accused Thanksgiving Day killer Paul Merhige last year.
For the upstate New York native who made South Florida his home for many years, tracking down ``society's garbage'' is still personal. In 1981, his 6-year-old son Adam was abducted from a Sears in Hollywood, Fla., and murdered.
``I want to make sure my little boy didn't die in vain,'' Walsh said.
About his idea for taking his crusade to other countries: ``I recognize this is a global society. Bad guys know no boundaries.''
Walking through the Fontainebleau, Walsh is stopped constantly -- people just want to look at him or shake his hand.
``They'll come up to me and say, `Go get 'em!' It's more than gratifying, it's reaffirmation that I'm doing the right thing,'' Walsh said of his career. ``Citizens are desperate for justice.''
The father of three thinks accepting anonymous tips gives people the right vehicle: ``The public is the key. They don't want to call the police, but they want to do the right thing.''
-- MADELEINE MARR
On Our Radar
- Barbara Streisand coming to Miami area before the holidays
- Moet bottle made just for Miami champagne lovers
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her new boyfriend in Miami
- Kim Kardashian's midnight tanning session in Miami
- 'Selma' star David Oyelowo in Miami
- Donald Trump and Kanye West to Cause Traffic Kerfuffle in Miami
- Vogue with Madonna at Art Basel
- Kourtney Kardashian in Miami with Scott Disick
- Kanye West's five weirdest (and greatest) stories of 2016 (so far)
- Magic Mike style show coming to Miami