John Walsh: still out for justice
John Walsh wants to go global. The longtime host of America's Most Wanted, 65, was at the National Association of Television Programming Executives this week to talk up the idea for a new show...
John Walsh wants to go global.
Sounds like an excellent plan. Walsh's Fox program -- on the air since 1988 -- has led to the arrest of more than 1,000 criminals, including accused Thanksgiving Day killer Paul Merhige last year.
For the upstate New York native who made South Florida his home for many years, tracking down ``society's garbage'' is still personal. In 1981, his 6-year-old son Adam was abducted from a Sears in Hollywood, Fla., and murdered.
``I want to make sure my little boy didn't die in vain,'' Walsh said.
About his idea for taking his crusade to other countries: ``I recognize this is a global society. Bad guys know no boundaries.''
Walking through the Fontainebleau, Walsh is stopped constantly -- people just want to look at him or shake his hand.
``They'll come up to me and say, `Go get 'em!' It's more than gratifying, it's reaffirmation that I'm doing the right thing,'' Walsh said of his career. ``Citizens are desperate for justice.''
The father of three thinks accepting anonymous tips gives people the right vehicle: ``The public is the key. They don't want to call the police, but they want to do the right thing.''
-- MADELEINE MARR
On Our Radar
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach
- Models spotted at Swim Week