John Dahlbäck chats with Miami.com before his gig at Amnesia this Saturday
Miami.com catches up with rising star producer/DJ John Dahlbäck before his Saturday night takeover of Amnesia on Miami Beach.
John Dahlbäck at Amnesia
Saturday, Feb. 18 at 11 p.m.
136 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
From Sweden to the US and around the world, this young but extremely talented DJ has become a huge name in the electronic music scene. With club-banging hits like “Feel It,” “Escape,” “Hands Up” and many more, it’s no wonder he’s an international star. This week, producer/DJ John Dahlbäck makes his way to Miami to celebrate the release of his latest recording, the Toolroom Knights Mix album. We caught up with him to get to know a little about this young talented star.
Q: What made you want to become a DJ, tell us how it all began?
A: It began with something I had to do since I was only releasing music at the time. I was maybe 17 years old. Then after a few shows I really loved doing it, so I just kept on really.
Q: What can we expect in 2012?
A: I just released my mix compilation for Toolroom, which is amazing. Then we have a track coming out soon called "Life."
Q: What DJs would you like to work with?
A: I'm a control freak so I don't normally work with other producers.
Q: Who are some of your musical influences? What influences you when you are in the studio?
A: Other music than house really, sort of jazz and soul. Mainly I just sit in the studio playing around with the synths, that normally gets me going.
Q: When you teamed up with your cousin Jesper Dahlbäck for Hugg & Pepp, tell us about your alias Hugg?
A: This was during my minimal techno phase. I wanted to do minimal but sort of maximal, if that make sense. And to release it on Kompakt was a great honor.
Q: What city has the wildest parties?
A: Manchester, England.
Q: What was your first record you bought?
A: Guns n’ Roses.
Q: When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out?
A: I kick back with a nice green tea with honey.
Q: With the release of so many Super Hero films, If you could be any super hero or Marvel Comic Character, who would you be?
For more John Dahlbäck make sure to head over to Amnesia Miami Saturday as he takes over the decks for the CD Release Party for his latest Toolroom Knights Mix Album, available in stores, beatport, and Itunes now. Tickets are currently $30 in advance. You must be 21+ to get in and dress code is trendy chic.
- Deadmau5 plays 250-minute set at Ice Palace in downtown Miami
- See Deadmau5 spin at free concert in Miami on Feb. 15
- Krewella brings electronic dance music to Miami Beach on Nov. 8
- Michael Brun brings fresh sounds to LIV on Saturday
- DJs Chris Lake, Nom de Strip and TJR brings Rising Fall tour to Miami Beach
- Paul Oakenfold returns to the beach this weekend
- Matthew Dear plays SAFE's sixth anniversary party at Electric Pickle
- DJs Jeremy Olander and Fehrplay of Eric Prydz's Pryda Friends play Club Space
- DJ Obscene gets ready to rule the pools this weekend on Miami Beach
- DJ Arty brings his Russian talents to Mansion on South Beach