Jimmy’z branches out to Wynwood
5/4/2011The spacious new Jimmy’z Kitchen at 2700 N. Miami Ave., in Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood, is a second branch of the tiny original on Alton Road. Chef-owner Jimmy Carey is a Johnson & Wales grad of Irish and Puerto Rican descent who’s known for his mofongo (plantains mashed with crunchy pork rinds) served with a sauced protein (shrimp and roast pork are among the choices). A Friday-only special on the Beach, the Puerto Rican classic is served daily in Wynwood.The menu has expanded to include jerk chicken salad, steaks, lamb chops, grilled snapper with chipotle sauce and blackened mahi or salmon as well as daily specials. There are also more appetizers (bolitas — fried cheese balls — with guava sauce, crab cakes, tuna tataki, a charcuterie platter) plus panini, salads, soups of the day and a global selection of beer and wine. Order at the counter, take a number and pick a seat. Servers bring the food to the tables. Jimmy’z serves lunch and dinner daily; 305-573-1505, www.JimmyzKitchen.com. LINDA BLADHOLM
- Armadillo Cafe to open in Boca Raton
- The List: Casa D'Angelo's Angelo Elia
- Michelle Bernstein's Seagrape serves upscale elegance in new Thompson Hotel
- Miami restaurant review: Is Iron Chef Morimoto up to the South Beach challenge?
- South Beach openings: Soho Bay, David's Cafe, a new Dewey's, Bodega, Chicken Kitchen, La Savina
- New taco shop to open Dec. 29 in Miami Beach
- Dewey LoSasso to run new restaurant at Schnebly Winery and Miami Brewing Co.
- American Social now open in Brickell
- STK Miami opening delayed after sprinkler accident causes extensive damage
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good