Jesse Eisenberg in Miami to talk Now You See Me
Jesse Eisenberg felt the need to break out of some of the sad-sacks he’s been inhabiting for a while. In Now You See Me, out Friday, Eisenberg’s J. Daniel Atlas is a cunning magician, master thief and over the top showman. We talked from the Mandarin Oriental Miami Hotel:
Audiences are used to seeing you in hoodies and jeans. You get gussied up in this movie. How was that?
Anytime I do a movie I like to steal what my character wears. The wardrobe department usually has eight of the same outfit for a scene so I figure I’ll just take one. You know the title, Now You See Me? The other part of that is Now You Don’t. That’s my disappearing act [laughs].
What attracted you to this part?
They sent me the script while I was doing a play in New York in a small theater of like 200 people. I had a lot of stage fright every night so I thought that I should play a character who was like, the most confident performer in the entire world. Playing someone who loved to be on stage would force me to be confident. It gave me the opportunity to feel good about myself and not depressed. I’ve played a lot of characters who are self-hating and hate other people.
This movie is ensemble mania. You’re acting alongside names like Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman.
I was the first to sign on, and the director [ Louis Leterrier] told me about the incredible cast. There was one scene with Michael Caine on a plane, and my character was tricking him and being condescending. It was strange because you want to be polite and reverential to people who are so wonderful and who have been knighted by the queen. So they would call ‘cut’ and I would apologize. But he said, ‘What are you talking about? It’s part of the scene.’
On Our Radar
- Are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie coming to Art Basel?
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.
- Recap: Miami.com Experience - Pop-Up Dinner at Bocce with Sugarcane
- Tiger Woods' ex holds dinner in Palm Beach
- Jamaican pop star OMI at club opening
- Miami's (wannabe) adopted son David Beckham is 'Sexiest Man'