Jazz at Museums
Don't tell the elevators but the museums are stealing their music.
Hot Nights Cool Jazz at the Bass Museum
2121 Park Ave., Miami Beach; 305-673-7530
7 p.m.-9 p.m. on Friday, August 27
$10, free for members
Jazz at MOCA
770 NE 125th St., North Miami; 305-893-6211
7 p.m. - 10 p.m. on Friday, August 27
Free, galleries open by donation
So you hate art but you like jazz. Your lady hates jazz but loves art. This Friday both parties can be happy because both the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Bass Museum are offering their monthly jazz concerts and leaving the galleries open a bit later for patrons to peruse.
The Bass Museum kicks off its monthly Hot NIghts, Cool Jazz series with the Jim Gaisor Trio featuring pianist, composer, arranger and jazz educator Jim Gaisor accompanied by Jamey Ousley on bass and John Yarling on drums. The show is from 7 p.m. till 9 p.m. Currently on exhibit is Human Rites, an exhibition which examines human ritual through art, and art through human ritual.
The Debbie Orta Trio headlines Jazz at MOCA the same night, with the performance beginning at 8 p.m. MOCA galleries will be open by donation from 7-10 pm. Currently on view is Claire Fontaine: Economies, an exhibition of sculpture, video, and neon which examine the concept of ownership in light of today’s economy.
See and Do
- Bayfront Park hosts tree lighting event to kick off holiday season
- Momix will perform and teach a master class at Broward Center
- 17 Fun Things to Do This Holiday Week: Nov 23-29
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 20-22
- ‘Newsies’ dances its way back to South Florida with a charming leading man
- Some Miami Book Fair events of note (in a weekend of hundreds)
- Miami Book Fair, a literary cornucopia, kicks off
- Give Miami Day, Nov. 19, is a chance to support Miami charities
- 15 things to do with the kids this week: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 13-15