Jazz in the Gardens 2013 announces lineup
New Edition, Earth Wind & Fire headline annual music event in Miami Gardens
Jazz lovers in Miami haven’t had such a good fall season so far. First, Dee Dee Bridgewater, the headlining act of the Miami Nice Jazz Festival, stunned the crowd by walking off the stage over a contract dispute Oct. 26 at the Gusman Center for the Performing Arts. Then, the Miami Jazz Festival – which was scheduled to hit Bayfront Park on Nov. 17 and Nov. 18 with true-blue jazz acts such as Trio da Paz and Monty Alexander – was canceled because of poor ticket sales.
Wake up, people! And be thankful that there’s hope for those of you who still care about jazz in South Florida: The Eighth Annual Jazz in the Gardens Festival lands at Sun Life Stadium for two days – March 16-17 – with amazing acts such as New Edition (“Cool It Now,” “Mr. Telephone Man”); Gap Band lead singer Charlie Wilson (“You Dropped a Bomb On Me,” “Outstanding”); and, oh yeah, some band called Earth Wind & Fire (“September,” “Shining Star,” “Fantasy”).
Other acts include saxophonist and flutist Najee, jazz-R&B vocalist Rachelle Ferrell and Grammy-winning gospel duo Mary Mary – a true “Sister Act.”
Tickets ($60 - $370) go on sale at 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 15 through Ticketmaster.
- Miami Soul weekend guide: International Music Fest, Overtown Music Festival, Lyric Comedy Fest, and more
- 5 things to look forward to at the Overtown Music & Arts Festival
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Ankara Swim, Bobby Valentine Single Release party, Sounds of Little Haiti, and more
- Miami Soul 4th of July weekend guide: Afropolitan Miami, Afrikin, Day La Soul, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: 12th Annual Irie Weekend and other things to do June 23 - 26, 2016
- Miami Soul: 7 Caribbean-American Heritage Month events to check out
- Que Boogaloo, Greek Cookout, Reggae Sundays and more events in Miami
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afropolitan Miami, Day La Soul Day Party, Beyond Brunch Sundays, and more
- Miami Soul Memorial Day Weekend Guide
- 5 Things We Love About Little Haiti