Jazz in the Gardens 2013 announces lineup
New Edition, Earth Wind & Fire headline annual music event in Miami Gardens
Jazz lovers in Miami haven’t had such a good fall season so far. First, Dee Dee Bridgewater, the headlining act of the Miami Nice Jazz Festival, stunned the crowd by walking off the stage over a contract dispute Oct. 26 at the Gusman Center for the Performing Arts. Then, the Miami Jazz Festival – which was scheduled to hit Bayfront Park on Nov. 17 and Nov. 18 with true-blue jazz acts such as Trio da Paz and Monty Alexander – was canceled because of poor ticket sales.
Wake up, people! And be thankful that there’s hope for those of you who still care about jazz in South Florida: The Eighth Annual Jazz in the Gardens Festival lands at Sun Life Stadium for two days – March 16-17 – with amazing acts such as New Edition (“Cool It Now,” “Mr. Telephone Man”); Gap Band lead singer Charlie Wilson (“You Dropped a Bomb On Me,” “Outstanding”); and, oh yeah, some band called Earth Wind & Fire (“September,” “Shining Star,” “Fantasy”).
Other acts include saxophonist and flutist Najee, jazz-R&B vocalist Rachelle Ferrell and Grammy-winning gospel duo Mary Mary – a true “Sister Act.”
Tickets ($60 - $370) go on sale at 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 15 through Ticketmaster.
- Miami Soul weekend guide: RonDayVu Day Party, Taste the Islands, Wireless Headphone Party Experience, and more
- Natural History Museum of Jamaica & Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Host VIP Reception
- Miami Soul weekend guide: American Friends of Jamaica Charity Gala, Miami Under 40, Flow Fridays & more
- Miami Soul giveaway: 25 Pairs of Passes to Experience INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3
- Miami Soul weekend music guide: Erica Campbell, Shirley Murdock, Sunshine Anderson, African Disco, and more
- Miami Soul: Perez Art Museum Miami Hosts Reception for the Fund for African-American Art
- The Mane Event: Indique Hair Miami Boutique Grand Opening
- Miami Soul Easter Weekend Guide
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, Florida Derby fancy hat brunch, Spoken Soul, and more
- Miami Soul: Pre-Jazz in the Gardens weekend guide