Jazid celebrates a birthday and pool parties at the Delano
Jazid celebrates a birthday, pool parties at the Delano, dancing superstars visit and other events will keep you entertained for the next week.
It's hot out there, we know, we know, but bucking the temperatures is Churchill's, 5501 NE 2nd Ave. which, at 9 p.m. Friday, June 7, welcomes Iceage, not the mammoth animated movie but the Copenhagen-based 4-piece band known for short, aggressive rock songs. Iceage is in town in support of their new album, the delightfully titled You're Nothing, which was released in February on Matador Records. Cover charge is $10 and show starts at 10 p.m. Cool?
Now that people barely dance in clubs, standing around in a zombie state texting one another to the techno beats, it's nice to see actual dancing live and in the flesh once in a while. Consider Shaping Sound, a new contemporary dance company formed by Emmy nominated choreographer and So You Think You Can Dance superstar Travis Wall, who is bringing his crew to the Colony Theater for two 8 p.m. performances on Wednesday, June 12 and Thursday, June 13. Joining Wall is SYTYCD season 1 winner Nick Lazzarini, Teddy Forance and Kyle Robinson. Tickets range from $30 to $85 and are available at www.shapingsoundco.com.
Miami's Independent Thinkers isn't an oxymoron, but, rather an organization dedicated to the unity, development and promotion of Miami’s flourishing art community. Their mission "is to provide a sustainable support base for Miami’s creative community, including: painters, photographers, filmmakers, sculptors, animators, writers, musicians, performance and new media artists." To see the group in action, check out their Summer Art Auction from 7 p.m. to midnight, June 7th at 1035 N. Miami Ave. There, you'll be able to wax artistic, spend some money and meet like-minded independent thinkers who depend on events like these to thrive. You'll also get to sip Peroni and Vita Coco, munch on small bites by The Corner, listen to music by DJ Peoples featuring Rage Johnson and DJ V and experience performances by local artist Grace Jones (not that one) and Vanessa Caamano as well as a film installation by Jamil Gonzalez. No cover.
The Edge of Seventeen
If dinosaurs roamed the earth on South Beach, they may look something like Jazid, which, at 10 p.m. June 7, celebrates its 17th anniversary with a party weekend including headliners Suenalo and Jahfe. The party continues at 10 p.m. Saturday with live sets by DJ Le Spam & the Spam Allstars and Locos Por Juana. Cover charge is $10. As for Jazid's elder status, it's a bade of honor worn proudly by owner Daniel Wohlstein, who says, “It makes me very proud to be the owner of Jazid. We have accomplished what no other club has been able to do in Miami Beach.”
Pooling Their Resources
Diving into the summer spirit headfirst is the Delano Beach Club, 1685 Collins Ave., which, from 2 p.m. until sundown on Sunday, June 9, kicks off its new Privileged Sundays Pool Party. Among the privileges to those who attend: poolside spa treatments, gourmet grill fare, DJs Dave Sol, Tavin Reiter and Prab K and cocktails. Don't forget the cocktails. For cabana and daybed reservations, call 305-924-4071.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale