Jazid celebrates a birthday and pool parties at the Delano
Jazid celebrates a birthday, pool parties at the Delano, dancing superstars visit and other events will keep you entertained for the next week.
It's hot out there, we know, we know, but bucking the temperatures is Churchill's, 5501 NE 2nd Ave. which, at 9 p.m. Friday, June 7, welcomes Iceage, not the mammoth animated movie but the Copenhagen-based 4-piece band known for short, aggressive rock songs. Iceage is in town in support of their new album, the delightfully titled You're Nothing, which was released in February on Matador Records. Cover charge is $10 and show starts at 10 p.m. Cool?
Now that people barely dance in clubs, standing around in a zombie state texting one another to the techno beats, it's nice to see actual dancing live and in the flesh once in a while. Consider Shaping Sound, a new contemporary dance company formed by Emmy nominated choreographer and So You Think You Can Dance superstar Travis Wall, who is bringing his crew to the Colony Theater for two 8 p.m. performances on Wednesday, June 12 and Thursday, June 13. Joining Wall is SYTYCD season 1 winner Nick Lazzarini, Teddy Forance and Kyle Robinson. Tickets range from $30 to $85 and are available at www.shapingsoundco.com.
Miami's Independent Thinkers isn't an oxymoron, but, rather an organization dedicated to the unity, development and promotion of Miami’s flourishing art community. Their mission "is to provide a sustainable support base for Miami’s creative community, including: painters, photographers, filmmakers, sculptors, animators, writers, musicians, performance and new media artists." To see the group in action, check out their Summer Art Auction from 7 p.m. to midnight, June 7th at 1035 N. Miami Ave. There, you'll be able to wax artistic, spend some money and meet like-minded independent thinkers who depend on events like these to thrive. You'll also get to sip Peroni and Vita Coco, munch on small bites by The Corner, listen to music by DJ Peoples featuring Rage Johnson and DJ V and experience performances by local artist Grace Jones (not that one) and Vanessa Caamano as well as a film installation by Jamil Gonzalez. No cover.
The Edge of Seventeen
If dinosaurs roamed the earth on South Beach, they may look something like Jazid, which, at 10 p.m. June 7, celebrates its 17th anniversary with a party weekend including headliners Suenalo and Jahfe. The party continues at 10 p.m. Saturday with live sets by DJ Le Spam & the Spam Allstars and Locos Por Juana. Cover charge is $10. As for Jazid's elder status, it's a bade of honor worn proudly by owner Daniel Wohlstein, who says, “It makes me very proud to be the owner of Jazid. We have accomplished what no other club has been able to do in Miami Beach.”
Pooling Their Resources
Diving into the summer spirit headfirst is the Delano Beach Club, 1685 Collins Ave., which, from 2 p.m. until sundown on Sunday, June 9, kicks off its new Privileged Sundays Pool Party. Among the privileges to those who attend: poolside spa treatments, gourmet grill fare, DJs Dave Sol, Tavin Reiter and Prab K and cocktails. Don't forget the cocktails. For cabana and daybed reservations, call 305-924-4071.
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano