Jazid celebrates anniversary; The Ritz goes retro
Plenty of parties for your weekend
The Ego and the Jazid
South Beach nightclubs aren't what they used to be, but one's pretty close. Jazid (1342 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), the live music mecca is celebrating its 16th year in business with a weekend of festivities and sounds beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, June 8 with Grammy-nominated band Locos Por Juana and Danger Flow performing and at 10 p.m. on Saturday, June 9 with Latin Grammy nominated DJ Le Spam and the Spam Allstars and Jahfe. Cover charge is $10. “It makes me very proud to be the owner of Jazid. We have accomplished what no other club has been able to do.” said owner Daniel Wohlstein. Congratulations and here's to many more years of music. For more information, please log on to www.jazid.net or email Jazidclub@gmail.com.
For Whom the Ball Rolls
Whatever kind of ball game floats your boat, The Lucky Clover Irish Pub (1111 SW 1 Ave., Miami) promises to show it on one of their 16 flat screen TVs or the mongo projection screen inside the bar, or, get this, a projection screen outside on the terrace exclusively for Heat and NBA playoff games. Starting Friday, June 8, The Lucky Clover is an unofficial HQ for Euro Cup action, with $4 drafts, $20 buckets and $5 bar bites. A 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. happy hour offers half priced drinks no matter what game is or isn't on. For a full schedule of games and events go to www.luckycloverbar.com.
Shaken & Stirred
Need a place to drink your sorrows away in the aftermath of the pop-down of The Broken Shaker, a place some say was Miami Beach's best bar ever? Lantao Social Club (1717 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) is hosting an invite-only grand opening on June 11, but those who like to be first to everything can get a sneak peek at the place on the weekend of June 9-10 when San Francisco mixologist Jacques Bezuidenhout is in the house working closely with Lantao's new bar chef Chad Phillips. Phillips comes has an impressive list of mixology gigs, the latest being at Sra. Martinez. Among the libations: the Beet Me in St. Louis, a concoction of Beet Infused Beefeater Gin, Domaine de Canton Ginger, Honey-Tarragon Syrup, and lemon and the Breakfast of Champions featuring Duck Fat Infused Knob Creek Bourbon, Cynar, apricot, lemon, and clove.
Dining With the Divas
New every Tuesday night from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at The Palace (1200 Ocean Drive Miami Beach): a three-course (including glass of wine) dinner show featuring the dragged up versions of everyone from Madonna and Cher to Rhianna, Whitney Houston and Donna Summer.
Beach Blanket Bacchanalia
The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami (455 Grand Bay Drive Key Biscayne) is worlds away from the Fort Lauderdale strip or the Beach Boys' California surf country, but it is going to channel both with its 50s Beach Bash from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, June 10 at Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge featuring a fashion show of vintage inspired swim wear and casual wear as well as classic cars from the Dezer Collection Auto Museum. Music will go along with the theme, too, and free Little Black Dress Vodka cocktail samples from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. will take it all back to 21st century Miami Beach culture, where free drinks are the bee's knees.
Old Havana, New Night
From America circa the 50s to Cuba, the Ritz on Key Biscayne is also channeling the BC days from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the 2nd Thursday of the month, this one on June 14, with Noche de Nostalgia, an Old Havana-inspired night featuring free hors d'oeuvres, rum tastings (Appleton this week) and valet parking plus live music by four-piece band, Grupo Nostalgia. There's also specialty priced mojitos, a cigar roller and, bringing back to the present day, a DJ spinning new Latin music.
Fashion and food collide from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 9 at The District Factory (3900 NE 1st Ave., Miami) when designers will showcase their art, jewelry, threads and more to the tune of Scratch DJ Academy's DJ I.A.N. There will also be cocktails, snacks, a Midtown Nail Bar & Beauty Lounge, an indie flick by O Cinema and the return of Phuc Yea!, Miami's wildly successful, albeit ephemeral, pop-up Vietnamese restaurant and predecessor of The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions, which will be bringing a beer garden with craft beer and sodas.
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
- Velvet Underground: the Regent Cocktail Club channels Spain on Mondays, Wonderland serves food with a twist, and plenty of party spots for Super Bowl Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Drink around the world in the Design District, go on a Mystery Date for MOCA, and let a lo-fi folk singer serenade you at the Freehand
- Velvet Underground: Two-time Grammy nominated Locos Por Juana play in North Beach, the Taj Mahal in Sunny Isles, and a block party on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables
- Velvet Underground: Speed bartending competition at Avenue D and a medical marijuana benefit concert at Tobacco Road