Festival Miami presents Jason Moran
Jazz virtuoso Jason Moran performs as part of Festival Miami.
Pianist, composer and bandleader Jason Moran, a recipient of a MacArthur “genius” fellowship in 2010, has developed a distinct, original voice by confidently drawing from different traditions, genres and disciplines and then, as needed, moving backwards and forward. His work has reached fearlessly into the blues, European classical music, funk and hip hop. He has explored stride piano (including updating James P. Johnson and Fats Waller) but also multimedia, conceptual and performance art. In lesser hands this would be a dicey proposition, but Moran has the technique, discipline and vision to make it work.
If you want to hear a clear direction forward in 21st century jazz, here is your chance.
Jason Moran and his long standing trio The Bandwagon play at the Maurice Gusman Hall, University of Miami, part of Festival Miami, Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 8pm For tickets call 866-811-4111 or click here.
There is also a Q&A Master class at the Clarke Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance, Tuesday, October 23 at 3:30 PM. The event is free but tickets are required.
Music in Miami
- Review: Erasure more than a nostalgia act during energetic dance party at Fillmore Miami Beach
- Phil Collins headlines gala fundraiser during Art Basel weekend on Miami Beach
- Demi Lovato plays Miami on Sunday
- Review: Lily Allen’s too cool to grow up
- Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso brings the art of musical change to Miami Beach
- Erasure plays Fillmore Miami Beach on Friday night
- Miami singer-songwriter Cris Cab, just 21, breaking out with major debut
- Mayer Hawthorne headlines free concert in Miami for Mercedes-Benz Evolution Tour tonight
- Afro Roots World Music Festival boasts a bounty of genres
- Revew: Ray Lamontagne pours his blues-filled soul over Miami Beach