Festival Miami presents Jason Moran
Jazz virtuoso Jason Moran performs as part of Festival Miami.
Pianist, composer and bandleader Jason Moran, a recipient of a MacArthur “genius” fellowship in 2010, has developed a distinct, original voice by confidently drawing from different traditions, genres and disciplines and then, as needed, moving backwards and forward. His work has reached fearlessly into the blues, European classical music, funk and hip hop. He has explored stride piano (including updating James P. Johnson and Fats Waller) but also multimedia, conceptual and performance art. In lesser hands this would be a dicey proposition, but Moran has the technique, discipline and vision to make it work.
If you want to hear a clear direction forward in 21st century jazz, here is your chance.
Jason Moran and his long standing trio The Bandwagon play at the Maurice Gusman Hall, University of Miami, part of Festival Miami, Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 8pm For tickets call 866-811-4111 or click here.
There is also a Q&A Master class at the Clarke Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance, Tuesday, October 23 at 3:30 PM. The event is free but tickets are required.
Music in Miami
- Miami Soul weekend guide: DanceAfrica Miami Reception, Juneteenth Miami Music Festival, Colors of the Caribbean
- Best of the Best returns for the tenth year with dancehall and reggae stars
- Joe Jonas talks DNCE, growing up Disney and his favorite place to party in Miami
- Review: Beyoncé slays on Formation tour’s opening night in Miami
- 7 reasons to see Andy Grammer at the Fontainebleau this Saturday
- Up-and-coming country star Kelsea Ballerini ready to take Tortuga Music Festival by storm this week
- Concert Review: Pearl Jam Packs a Punch at American Airlines Arena
- Tortuga Music Festival announces lineup, ticket sales
- A 7-year-old reviews Bruce Springsteen’s ‘The River Tour’ concert
- Concert Review: Bruce Springsteen captivates with a performance that displays a depth of emotions