Festival Miami presents Jason Moran
Jazz virtuoso Jason Moran performs as part of Festival Miami.
Pianist, composer and bandleader Jason Moran, a recipient of a MacArthur “genius” fellowship in 2010, has developed a distinct, original voice by confidently drawing from different traditions, genres and disciplines and then, as needed, moving backwards and forward. His work has reached fearlessly into the blues, European classical music, funk and hip hop. He has explored stride piano (including updating James P. Johnson and Fats Waller) but also multimedia, conceptual and performance art. In lesser hands this would be a dicey proposition, but Moran has the technique, discipline and vision to make it work.
If you want to hear a clear direction forward in 21st century jazz, here is your chance.
Jason Moran and his long standing trio The Bandwagon play at the Maurice Gusman Hall, University of Miami, part of Festival Miami, Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 8pm For tickets call 866-811-4111 or click here.
There is also a Q&A Master class at the Clarke Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance, Tuesday, October 23 at 3:30 PM. The event is free but tickets are required.
Music in Miami
- Dweezil Zappa honors his father's legacy in South Florida concert
- Rick Springfield brings tour to South Florida
- Amtrac Takes Over Basement This Friday, August 28
- The Mowgli’s play two free pop-up sets on Miami Beach on Monday
- Life In Color Early Bird Tickets Are Now On Sale
- Concert Review: Ariana Grande's tour stops in South Florida for an energetic homecoming
- Do Not Sit On the Furniture Kicks Off Independence Day Weekend with Nora En Pure
- Willy Chirino and Carlos Oliva deliver the Miami Sound this Saturday at the Arsht Center
- David Crosby performs songs old and new in Miami
- EC Twins Take Over E11EVEN for Cam Con's Official After Party