Festival Miami presents Jason Moran
Jazz virtuoso Jason Moran performs as part of Festival Miami.
Pianist, composer and bandleader Jason Moran, a recipient of a MacArthur “genius” fellowship in 2010, has developed a distinct, original voice by confidently drawing from different traditions, genres and disciplines and then, as needed, moving backwards and forward. His work has reached fearlessly into the blues, European classical music, funk and hip hop. He has explored stride piano (including updating James P. Johnson and Fats Waller) but also multimedia, conceptual and performance art. In lesser hands this would be a dicey proposition, but Moran has the technique, discipline and vision to make it work.
If you want to hear a clear direction forward in 21st century jazz, here is your chance.
Jason Moran and his long standing trio The Bandwagon play at the Maurice Gusman Hall, University of Miami, part of Festival Miami, Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 8pm For tickets call 866-811-4111 or click here.
There is also a Q&A Master class at the Clarke Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance, Tuesday, October 23 at 3:30 PM. The event is free but tickets are required.
Music in Miami
- Rob Delaney teams up with local company for game
- Bloc Party headlines Absolut X party tonight in Miami
- Beat Camp workshop provides opportunities for aspiring songwriters, music producers
- Carly Rae Jepsen talks about her upcoming show at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Ben Taylor performs in Miami Beach
- Sweatstock Block Party showcases local, independent music in Miami
- Esperanza Spalding presides over a night of soulful jazz in Miami this Friday
- Tortuga Music Festival in Fort Lauderdale offers something for everyone — even the sea turtles
- ‘American Idol’ star Adam Lambert headlines Sunday at Miami Beach Gay Pride
- Concert review: Taylor Swift in Miami