January's Wine of the Month: Mollydooker Merlot
Molly & The Motorcycle Eye Roller
“Michel is in the hospital,” the voice said. My palate suddenly dried up as Michel’s mother described his condition. I warned him about that motorcycle. Michel is a closet-nerd guised in supreme wine snobbery. What the hell is he doing on a motorcycle? I worried about him like a sister.
We met years ago at Laurenzo’s Italian American Supermarket where he worked in wine sales. There he hid in those Sicilian catacomb-style aisles, reading a wine chemistry book. He moved on to Total Wine & More where he became a wine pimp, his syrah-colored skin and Steve Urkel-esque mystic betraying that white boy accent and stalwart understanding of the Old World palate.
I watched clients scoot down aisles, baskets filled with Michel’s suggestions. Whenever I asked for my usual—dark fruit, sweet spice, round, yummy reds, Michel rolled his eyes.
But right before the accident, he suggested the 2009 Mollydooker The Scooter Merlot. The cola and eucalyptus aromas leaped from a gorgeous, rich violet color. On the palate, there were sumptuous spiced bun, dried cranberry and black pepper flavors.
This wine warms the palate like pashmina during these faux Miami winters. So does Michel, who has fully recovered and mastered the wicked-wine eye roll.
$23 @ Total Wine & More, 14750 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami, 305-354-3270.
Tweet Dinkinish @Gourmetsquatter. Follow her on her food and wine adventures at gourmetsquatter.blogspot.com
- J. Wakefield Brewery releases special Basel-inspired brews
- Buy a beer for a hometown hero at BJ's Brewhouse
- A lavish happy hour spot for Beach goers
- NaiYaRa could just be Miami's perfect post-work getaway
- Jack Daniels brings pop up to Wynwood this month
- Craft Social Club introduces craft bottle service and mixology on tap to Miami
- Pembroke Pines has a new drinking den
- Miracle Mile gets its first speakeasy-style cocktail den
- KLIMA wants to be Miami Beach's most authentic Spanish restaurant
- LILT Lounge is much more than a hotel bar